Chapter 18

Slumped against the wall, Hoody panted a bit as he faced Alex Kralie, his glowering brown-eyed glare completely visible now that his mask was at his feet. He hadn't expected the sneak attack, to be pushed down the stairs from behind. He didn't expect to get into a fistfight. He knew Alex had already freed himself and killed Jay, but he hadn't expected Alex to find him so easily. Clearly, he was waiting for him, ready to ambush him the second he arrived. It worked. His entire body was sore and battered now, the fall and subsequent fight having taken its toll on him. As he glared Alex reached into his pocket and pulled out something dark and metal though, making him freeze:

       A gun.

       A freaking honest-to-god gun.

His entire body locked up at the sight, his muscles tensing. No. This wasn't supposed to happen. He wasn't supposed to be killed by Alex, this wasn't his plan. Who would plan it so they would die!? He might not be as "sane" as he used to be, but he wasn't suicidal! Staring down the seemingly endless barrel of the gun, his entire life flashed before his eyes...

       "ALEX, DON'T!"

        The panicked yell startled both of them, their heads snapping to the side in shock. Standing in the doorway was none other than Tim, watching wide-eyed with horror. No one moved as they stared each other down, but then Hoody sprung into action. Ignoring his sore muscles he launched forward at Alex, desperate to get the gun away from him. The sound of movement got Alex's attention and he spun back to face it.

        At this point, time seemed to slow down at this point, one second lasting hours as every movement became painfully clear and visible to Hoody as if in slow motion. He saw Alex's finger tense on the trigger, his hands flinching as they tightened around the gun. Raising the barrel to point towards him at a painfully slow pace, Alex's finger slowly pulled back. The gun recoiled as the bullet shot out, the tip of it heading straight for Hoody.

        He instinctively tried to move out of the way, but it was too late. He was too close to dodge. As the bullet pierced his skull his body jolted, stopping midstep. Shock immediately consumed his body and all his nerves shut down, mercifully blocking out the pain as the bullet rocketed through his brain matter before exiting out the back of his head.

       Overcome with shock, for a moment he just stood there for a moment, just staring at Alex wide-eyed as smoke rose from the barrel of the gun. Behind him he could see Tim staring at them in horror, his lips quivering as his mouth hung open in disbelief. Blood seeped from the wound, the crimson liquid dripping over Hoody's eyes and tinting his vision red.

       Only then did time resume. Unbelievable searing pain suddenly tore through his head following the bullet's path, and his strangled screams mixed with the echoing gunshot. Never in his life had he felt such pain, such awful heart-rending pain. His knees gave way beneath him as he clutched at the ground, screeching in pure agony with his eyes squeezed shut in an attempt to keep the blood out of them.

       "BRIAN!" Tim's was barely audible over his screams, but he still heard it. He still heard Tim scream his name, his real name-and he opened his eyes just in time to see a familiar figure next to Tim and Alex.