New York City

Four years later

I made my way down the block. I don't know why, but upstate New York seemed like a good place to be.

Now, I mostly lived by pick pocketing and stealing food. I heard police sirens, but didn't run. I know if I looked as guilty as I am, I'd be arrested.

Just then a police cruiser pulled up beside the sidewalk. A policeman stepped out, gun aimed at me.

"Put your hands in the air and come with us." The officer said carefully, like I might go on a rampage.

I recently found out that I can order someone to do something, and they'll do exactly that. That is the main reason I'm in so much trouble.

I once persuaded some random guy to fuck off. He pulled out his junk and started to jerk off, right in front of me! I was shocked, so it took a few moments to finally tell him to do that somewhere else.

The real reason I'm in trouble is because I persuaded a guy to give me a camping backpack, new boots, a couple of outfits, and some toiletries. About ten minutes after that, the police started coming after me. This was yesterday, now I turn to the officer with a dazzling smile.

"You can't see me." I tell him.

His eyes glaze over, and he and his partner look around a little confused.

"You've forgotten what you've come here to do." I say, with a smirk.

One of the officers turns to the other, "hey, Rob, why are we here again?"

The officer called Rob, shakes hos head in confusion. "I don't know. Anyway, I'm sure there's big crime out there somewhere. Come on."

The officers climb back into their cruiser and drive off. I have ten minutes to get as far away as I can.

I bolted down the sidewalk, my red hair flying behind me. My hair's not naturally red, it's naturally a brown so dark it's often mistaken for black. I wanted to change my appearance, saw the hair dye for naturally dark hair, stole it and used it. Now my hair is about the color of fire.

I was looking back over my shoulder to make sure I wasn't being followed, and ran over someone. I mean literally ran over them. One moment I'm running, and the next I'm laying on top of a really cute guy who closely resembled Nico from Percy Jackson with his dark mop of hair, dark dreamy eyes, and pale completion.

I could feel my face turn a deep shade of red, "I'm so sorry. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and. . ." Cutting myself off, I realize that I'm rambling.

Standing up, I offer my hand to the guy, and help him to his feet.

"I'm Anne." I say before I could stop myself, "what's your name?"

"Nico." He answered.

There is no way this could be a coincidence.

"Is your last name DiAngelo by chance?"

Nico's eyes widened slightly, "yeah. Is yours Baker?"

I felt my eyes widen, "yeah, why?"

Nico grabbed my hand, "you need to come with me. You're in trouble."