thirty four

Chapter Thirty Four

Tuesday

In a quick instant, I glanced away from George. He had me held in this look that I for one couldn't decipher. Maybe it was confusion ... humor, or maybe he was just disappointed.

I wasn't going to stand here and figure it out though.

"Oh, hey dude." Collin greeted George, and outstretched his hand for a shake. I didn't know if that was going to backfire simply because I couldn't tell where his mind was from that look.

"Hey ..." He trailed, and shook Collin's hand softly. I adverted my attention to the girl, who I might as well call Jenifer. She on the other hand had a look that I could perfectly make out.

Bitterness.

"What's going on?" I ask her, and step away from the two boys who decided to engage in their own conversation

"What's going on?" I ask her, and step away from the two boys who decided to engage in their own conversation. In the back of my mind I remembered that Col and I had plans to call the girl before me out.

Looks like I'll be doing it myself.

"Nothing much ... but I thought that you said you didn't have a boyfriend?" She questioned, tilting her head slightly to one side. I know that she's bitter and everything, but being petty is something she doesn't want to do.

"I don't."

"Well ... you couldn't fool me, the way you kissed that guy back there."

"That guy?"

"Yeah, I don't know his name."

You couldn't fool me, Jenifer.

Why was she acting like this, like she's never met Collin before a day in her life? I mean her disguise wasn't as foolproof as she'd thought, or maybe it wasn't meant to be a permanent one.

Maybe it was just to buy her time, to do what, I couldn't tell you.

"Cut the act, Jenifer. I knew it was you from the very beginning." I say, crossing my arms and standing my ground.

"What? My name isn't Jenifer and I don't know what you're talking about. You sound crazy." She chuckled.

"And you sound a bit too defensive for this to actually not be you. C'mon, out with it, what do you want?" I cut to the chase, not wanting to sugarcoat nor prolong things further.

I easily saw through her, but maybe that was her plan all along.

"Fine ..." Jenifer sighed, slouching a bit from out of her preppy girl posture. Why would she go as far as changing the way she stands to do something like this? I couldn't wait to hear her reasoning.