eighteen

Chapter Eighteen
Tuesday

In the morning, I woke up to the sound of a blender going off. After laying on my back for a few moments, I tried to figure out if I was just hearing things. When it became very clear that I wasn't, I got annoyed because I knew that it could be only one person:

My mother.

I rolled over and checked the time on my phone, seeing that it was around 5 in the morning. I usually don't get up for school until 6, so I still had an hour worth of sleep to catch up on. Instead of utilizing it, I got up and decided to start my day a little earlier.

After I got appropriately dressed, I joined her in the kitchen, and due to the loudness of the blender, she didn't hear me enter the room. "Hey Mom?" I call, standing beside her and startling her a little bit. She placed a hand over her heart and I just laughed it off after apologizing.

"Nothing like a small heart attack to wake me up in the morning." She joked, and resumed blending her drink. I noticed her eyes glance over at her watch, and afterward she turned to me with a confused look. "What are you doing awake? I usually have the house to myself at this hour."

"The blender woke me up, but it's cool." I looked around the room for a second before turning back at her. "Where's Dad?" I ask over the sound of the blender going. For a second it seemed like she was ignoring me, and covering it up by acting like the machine made her unable to hear my question. So I asked her again, which made her press the off button and turn fully to me.

"Him and I are going through a rough patch, so he decided to sleep at the motel down the street last night. Don't worry though, we ironed everything out and he should be home by the time you get off of school." Mother informed, and I had no idea that the two had been having disagreements. I'll give it to them, they were damn good at keeping things from me, but I guess that's where I get the secretiveness from.

"You guys were arguing? What about?" I question, my voice full of concern.

When my mom put her hand on my shoulder, I automatically knew that she wasn't going to tell me. "Irrelevant things, honey, don't worry about it. You should go upstairs and try to go back to sleep before it's time for you to get ready to leave." She advised.

I narrowed my eyes at her slightly, letting her know that I was aware of what she was trying to do. I decided not to pry, since that obviously wasn't going to get me anywhere. Hopefully, she'll just tell me whenever she's ready.

X

A few hours later at school, I walked up to my locker and saw Stacey and Brooklyn there already. Usually, it would just be Laura there since her locker is a couple down from mine. Since this is the first day in a long time that she hasn't beaten me here, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that her lack of presence is because of Collin. More specifically, the fact that she slept with him behind my back.

When I got up to the two, I shot them questioning looks and they started speaking over one another. I wasn't able to comprehend what they were saying because I was taken back. I put my hand out, urging for them to talk to me one at a time. "We have very good reason to believe that Laura slept with Collin Myers last night, and we wanted to be the first people to tell you." Brooklyn confessed.

I furrowed both of my eyebrows because I wondered how the two of them managed to find out. "How did you guys know?" I questioned, and turned my back on their lost faces in order to open my locker.

"Wait, you knew?" Brook asked, sounding offended.

That's when Stacey decided to speak directly after her. "AND DIDN'T TELL US?"