Chapter 13

"Alright, Mrs. Aiko. You got the plan all down pact?" Akira asked, his hand on the women's shoulder. Aiko, Takanori's mother, gave Akira a nod in understanding. It was weird having an adult take orders from a child. All she could see was Akira when he was younger, giving Aiko advice on how to make Takanori smile. All she could hear was Akira's small voice and bright smile and how much Akira meant so much to Takanori.

"I got the plan, Akira. Thank you." Aiko smiled sweetly, giving Akira a peck on the cheek. Akira's mother stood beside Akira and smiled.

"I can't wait to see what Taka looks like now." Akira looked at his mother who just spoke.

"He still has that baby face you always loved." Akira mumbled to his mom. "Okay, now let's go, Mrs. Aiko. We gotta get to Taka before visiting hours are closed."

•••••

"Okaasan, what's it like being married?" Takanori asked his mother. He was in the front passenger's seat of the car, his seatbelt around his small body. His mother was driving. They were on their way to drop off Takanori to school.

"It's hard, but it's worth it.." His mother let out a soft chuckle.

"But....what about all that stuff father does....you still love him?" Takanori made a doubtful look towards his mother.

"Yes, I do...but he just needs to learn parenting more. We were parents at a young age. He still has a lot to learn as a parent."

Takanori's mother gave a small smile, still paying attention to the road. Takanori couldn't smile. He didn't understand why his mom still loved his father after all the things his father has done to him.

"But he never hurt Kato. Why me?"

"....It's complicated."

••••••

Aiko never understand why her husband hurt Takanori. Even after parent counseling, there was always an issue. Aiko was hunched over whilst driving in Naomi's (Akira's mother) car, shedding a few small tears. She just couldn't believe her son had to go through all of this, but it was about time to get him out of this situation.

She was parking her car in front of the entrance of the mental institution. Akira, his mother, and Kato were inside the car, deciding to join Aiko on the journey. The four walked into the building. Aiko saw her son sitting on a sofa chair alone, his legs were cris-crossed on the seat and he was playing with a small stuffed animal.

Aiko shed a tear and was beginning to sob, finally seeing her son. She was lucky that her son's suicidal attempts failed. She was indeed lucky. She was happy her son was still alive. But let's hope she has an enjoyable visit with her son. She discreetly went to the front desk and asked the representative if she could sign Takanori out of the hospital.

"Can I see ID?" the front desk lady asked. Aiko nodded, showing the lady a proper ID. She was also told to sign a "sign out" paper.

The process took a bit of time. Before they pack, Aiko has to get a prescription for Takanori. But even before that, Aiko needed to have her time with Takanori.

"I remember that toy. I can't believe he kept that all these years." Akira mumbled to himself, studying the small stuffed animal Takanori had in his hand from afar.

Takanori himself was studying the toy. The little giraffe toy. Akira had won him the toy back when they were in the fourth grade at a class trip to an amusement park. It was a game of basketball he wanted to play. Since Takanori lost, Akira willingly won the game so that he could give Takanori the reward.