Chapter 8: MonoMono Machine

-Yuta P. O. V.-

Komaru and I went to where the school store was located on the map in our handbooks. There was a lot of random junk all around. There was a vending machine in the corner and another black and white machine on the counter in the middle of the room.

Komaru and I just looked at it.

"What do you think this is, Yuta?" She asked.

I shrugged. "I have no clue. Looks like some kind of machine." I took a closer look. "It looks like it's full of... something. There's some kind of coin slot with a bear head crank."

"Hey look!" She grabbed a piece of paper that she saw folded up on top of the machine. She read it out loud.

"Instructions for the MonoMono Machine"

"So, I guess this is the MonoMono Machine." She said.

I nodded. "I guess. What's the instructions say?"

"Thank you for purchasing the MonoMono Machine! The only present dispensing machine that demons alike love! Using these instructions, learn the MonoMono Machine in 3 easy steps! Step 1: Insert Monocoin into the slot of the MonoMono Machine." She continued. "Monocoin? What's that?"

I suddenly had an idea. "Wait! Komaru! Remember those coins we found in our trash cans!?"

"Oh yeah! Let's try that!" She cheered.

I dove into my pocket and pulled out the pouch from earlier. I pulled the coin out and put it into the slot. "What's it say next?"

"Step 2: Turn the crank."

I turned the bear head shaped crank twice. The machine shook slightly, then an item came out of another slot in the machine. It was like a little plastic ball that was split in two.

"What's that?" Komaru asked.

"No idea." I answered. "What's the instructions say?"

"Step 3: Open the plastic ball to receive your present."

"Yuta, open it up! I wanna see what you got!" She was bouncing on her heels while looking over my shoulder.

I popped open the ball to reveal a thing inside it. It was a little bottle of liquid.

"Cool! Mineral water! I drink this all the time when I'm training!" I opened up the bottle and took a drink.

"I wanna try!" Komaru cheered as she put the paper in her pocket and pulled her pouch out. She popped her coin in, turned the crank, and grabbed the ball when it came out. She immediately opened it. She turned back to me, holding a small test tube with something inside it.

"What's that?" I asked, peering over her shoulder.

"I... don't know. Maybe there's something in the instructions." She put the test tube away and pulled the paper out again. "Ah, here's something." She said, pointing to the bottom. "For more information, please read the enclosed list of presents."

"Wait, but there wasn't another sheet of paper, was there?" I asked, before taking another sip of my water.

"No. And the list isn't on the back. Maybe it's somewhere in here. Let's take a look around."

I nodded. "Right!"

We then started looking through all the junk in the room. We split the labor into two parts. I searched behind and inside the counter while Komaru looked on the side we came in on. There was a ton of stuff all over the place. A suit of armor. Pots. Paintings. Cups. All kinds of stuff.