Chapter 13: Five Spells

-Third Person P. O. V.-

"Fujiko? Are you in there?"

Komaru was knocking on the girl's door as Yuta stood behind her, his handbook ready to explain what they found out.

After a moment, the girl opened the door, wearing a manga artist's hat. "What do you want?" She asked, her tone a slight bit grumpy.

"Oh, well..." Komaru felt a bit awkward, feeling that they interrupted her during something important.

The two explained their discovery as quickly as they could.

Fujiko thought for a moment. "I guess all of you can look at my information. I don't have much to hide, anyway." She took out her handbook. "I'm the Ultimate Yaoi Artist. Great! I'm glad I'm getting the respect I deserve for my talent!"

"You're... a yaoi manga artist?" Komaru asked.

Fujiko nodded, her previous grumpiness completely gone. "Yes! I didn't bring my work with me here, so I started a new one! Wait right here!" The girl ran back inside her room and returned to her doorway with her work in progress. Komaru looked at the cover.

The cover showed a picture of Taichi and Takaaki with black lines over their eyes. "Is this...?"

Fujiko nodded. "Yup! And thanks to you two, I know what to name it! Since Taichi was a security guard and Takaaki is a policeman, I'll name this 'Fuck That Police'!"

Yuta and Komaru were silent. Komaru handed the work back to Fujiko. "Well uh... we're gonna go tell Fuhito about this. Goodbye."

Fujiko gave a small wave before closing her door.

Yuta and Komaru sighed, relieved. "Where was Fuhito again?" Komaru asked.

"Taichi said he was in the foyer. Let's go." The two ran towards the school.

Once they reached the foyer, they found Fuhito examining the large metal door blocking their way to freedom.

The old man turned around, hearing them approach. "Oh, hello there. What brings you two by?" His demeanor was very kind and friendly.

"Well..." Once again, the two explained their discovery, but this time, for the last time.

"Hmm... I see." Fuhito seemed to consider this information. He opened his own handbook. "The Ultimate Detective, hmm? Strange. My granddaughter has that title. That is why I am here."

"Yeah, a few of the others thought their titles were weird, too." Yuta said.

Fuhito nodded. "Well, feel free to read through my profile. As a detective, concealing information is an unforgivable act."

Yuta and Komaru nodded. "Thank you, sir." Komaru said.

Fuhito turned back to the door. "As such, I'll explain what found out about the door."

The two looked confused. "I thought Takemichi already found out about the passwords?"

Fuhito nodded again. "Yes, he did. But, he seemed to have missed a few points of interest. First, there is the door itself. This large metal gate in the way of freedom, blocked by five passwords. At first glance, there is nothing special about it. But upon closer inspection..." He pointed to a spot on the door.

Komaru and Yuta looked at the point. There was some very small writing. 'Hope'

"What do you think that means?" Yuta asked.

The old detective seemed to know exactly what it meant. "Over here." He led them over to a bulletin board on the wall. Nobody seemed to have pay it any mind. There were papers all over it, advertising several things. Fuhito pulled one off and read it.

"The path to freedom. Guarded by the warriors. They hold the five spells."

"That's... a haiku, right?" Komaru asked.

"Correct." Fuhito said. "I think I know what it means. I believe that 'spell' refers to a password to the door. By that logic, each of the Warriors of Hope should hold a password to this door. That is why the word 'hope' is written on the door."

"Wait, how do you know that the Warriors of Hope wrote that message?" Yuta asked.

Fuhito turned the paper over and showed the back to Komaru and Yuta. There was a picture of a bear with an eyepatch and a fedora. Underneath the image was a message. 'This haiku was brought to you by Headmaster Kurokuma.'

"The name 'Kurokuma' was mentioned in our handbooks, which directly ties this haiku to our situation." Fuhito said.

"Wow, you really are an ultimate detective!" Komaru praised, excitedly.

Fuhito chuckled. "It was just a simple logical conclusion."

"Well, that's all we wanted to talk about. See ya!" Yuta and Komaru left.

"Well, now that we told everyone, what do you want to do now, Komaru?" Yuta asked.

She thought for a moment. "I'm not sure."

Yuta shrugged. "Well, I'm gonna go back to my room. See ya later!"

Komaru and Yuta waved at each other as they left.

"You kids have fun?"

Komaru jumped, turning towards the voice that startled her, only to find Hiroko, holding Kameko's jar in her left hand.

"Hiroko! What are you doing here?"

The woman smiled. "I was on my way to the store to see if that machine might give me any cigarettes. I just happened to run into you."

"Oh. Well uh, sorry to disappoint you, but I read the present list before giving it to Takaaki, and there weren't any cigarettes. I'm sorry."

Hiroko groaned. "Oh well. Hey, wanna go get a drink? Everybody left the kitchen and dining hall to go do other things, so it'll be just us."

Komaru gasped. "I can't drink! I'm underage!"

Hiroko laughed. "I don't mean that kind of drink. There's no alcohol in the kitchen, and if there was, Officer Hardass would've confiscated it all. I meant to get a lemonade. I haven't had a really good lemonade in a while."

"I love lemonade! I didn't know you liked it." Komaru was happy that she found another person who had things in common with her.

"Hey, I might be a grown woman, but it doesn't mean I can't like lemonade. It's really good, actually. C'mon. Do you wanna grab one with me and Kameko here?"

Komaru thought to herself.

Hmm... Should I hang out with Hiroko and Kameko?

I'll spend some time with Hiroko and Kameko.

"Why not. Let's go!" Komaru followed Hiroko to the kitchen.

Komaru spent some time talking and laughing with Hiroko over a lemonade.

-Komaru P. O. V.-

Hiroko and I grew a little closer today.

Do I want to give Hiroko a present?

Still only have that Rose In Vitro. I'll save that for someone special.

No, not really

"So, Komaru" Hiroko said, putting her glass away.

"What's on your mind?" I asked her.

She smiled, making me a bit curious about her question.

"Have you ever had sex?"