Chapter 16

[Louis' P.O.V.]

I was still pouting for having to sit in the back by the time that we got to the store. Liam was my best mate, I get the front in my best mate's car. I huffed out a sigh as we pulled into the parking lot. Niall and Liam held hands as we walked into the store, causing me to shove my hands into my pockets. I walked awkwardly behind them and Liam grabbed a cart.

"Hold on to the side," he told Niall and the hybrid obediently gripped the side of the cart. "Louis, don't run off."

"I do what I want," I mumbled as we started walking through the aisle.

"What all do you need?"

"I don't know."

"Louis."

"Liam," I mocked.

He huffed out a sigh as he began putting a few things into the cart. Niall looked around curiously as Liam pushed the cart down the aisle. I followed mostly close behind them and watched as Niall pointed to a few things and Liam would explain what the boy had pointed to. I had to admit that he was kind of cute, in a puppy sort of way. I chuckled to myself at my joke and Liam turned to me.

"I have to use the toilet."

"That's great, Liam. I'm real proud of you."

"I meant that you needed to stay with Niall and don't wander off."

"Yes, Dad."

Liam rolled his eyes and walked into the restroom as I looked at Niall. He was still looking around curiously but his eyes fell on me. He gave me a wide smile and I returned it with a small one.

"Louis is okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I responded as an idea struck me. "Hey, Niall. Do you want to do something fun?"

"What is fun?"

"Just follow me."

"Liam said to not wa-wander? Is wander to follow?"

I struggled to quickly understand what the boy was saying until it clicked, "Oh no. Well, yes. But we'll be back soon. Liam won't even realize that we're gone."

"Are sure?"

"Totally."

"Okay."

I nodded my head and he followed right at my heels as I led him to the toy section of the store. I turned back to see that his eyes lit up as they grew wider and curiously looked around. I was almost certain that if his tail wasn't wrapped against his thigh that it'd be wagging right now.

"So bright," he said as he pressed one of the lights on a toy, causing it to make loud noises. His smile turned into a look of fear as he looked at me. "Make it stop."

"You're the one who pressed the button," I said, turning away from him.

I felt a tug on my sleeve, causing me to turn back around and look at the fear evident on his face, "Help. Is so loud."

I sighed and walked over to the toy and hit the button to make it stop making noise. Relief washed over the boy's face as the toy silenced and a smile grew on his face again. I smiled back before motioning toward the large net of bouncy balls, "C'mon, kid. Let's go over there."

Niall nodded, trailing after me, making sure to not touch the toys around him. I reached into the net and pulled out a ball to bounce against the ground. His hat moved so I assumed that his ears perked up as I continued to bounce the ball. His eyes followed the bounce and I got a wicked idea. I smiled and bounced the ball in order to make it bounce away from. Niall watched it bounce down the aisle before glancing at me. I nodded and he bolted after it causing me to let out a small giggle. His dog side was definitely showing. He returned seconds later with the ball in hand as small puffs sounded from his mouth. He looked at me then at the ball before returning his gaze back to me.