Ball

All humans were to report to the HMH sign-in room. We were here an hour early to get our pictures taken and fill out massive amounts of forms so that they would know who was who when we found our mates. With our paperwork would be our files. Any videos, pictures or records of things we've done would be included in this master file. A care taker could choose to leave something out if they wished to; but most of them felt that that would be unfair to the werewolf that was trying to get to know his match. For convenience sake all pictures and videos were stored on a DVD. If they kept all the original pictures and videos they wouldn't have been able to fit the files in one room. The only hard copy picture included would be the one taken the day of the ball. It would be put on the front of the file so that any wolf that didn't know a human's number and wanted to see a file, would be able to point out who they were looking for. 

I looked around at the extraordinarily beautiful humans, dressed in extravagantly elegant dresses, waiting eagerly to get to the front of the line. Despite the graceful appeal of the group, I could feel nothing but disgust as I watched their restless excitement. 

They wanted to be here. They wanted to dance the night away with the intent of finding someone that would hold them captive for the rest of their lives. They wanted to sign-away their sense of being and mingle their identity with that of a stranger. They wanted to give away their freedom because they have been taught their whole lives, that this is true love, and it doesn't get better than this. 

Nobody else was being led through the crowd by a guard whose sole purpose was to keep them from running.

No, these beautiful fools smiled wistfully as they handed their own files over to the people who were frantically trying to keep up with the abundance of manila folders. The imbeciles carefully filled out their paperwork in chairs off to the side so that they didn't get in the way of their busy captors. Brilliant smiles lit up their faces as the camera immortalized their scrupulously done hair and make-up. They went through the gruesome process of getting ready to be sold with sparkling smiles adorning their faces.

When we reached the front of the line I was shoved in front of a dark blue screen. The cameraman told me to smile before quickly taking the photo and waving me along. Bambi caught my arm as soon as the picture was taken. I was dragged over to a table where an older looking woman handed me a clipboard with all the necessary papers and shooed me away without a second glance. 

Bambi promptly took the clipboard from me as he led me over to the chairs and sat down besides me to fill out my paperwork. 

"Name," he mumbled to himself, "Rose Pixie McFea, Common name: Rosie, Age: 18, Hobbies: Thinking of ways to run away from the HMH, running away from the HMH, beating up guards and walking around the HMH naked."

"Hey!" I protested, reaching for the clipboard. I was okay with him telling my match that I ran away from the HMH a lot. My file would say the same, but he was not going to write that I was a nudest on any document. No matter how little I cared about that document. 

"Fine I'll cross that out," Bambi said doing just that, "and working out because there is nothing better to do in solitary confinement."

"I can live with that," I said shrugging. 

For the next twenty minutes Bambi filled out my forms while I leaned back in the chair and listened to him mumbling what he was putting down for me. I didn't have any more problems with what he wrote and I spent my time tapping my fingers against the arm of the chair. Impatience was gnawing at my insides. Watching the delusional people around me was making me irritable, and I really wanted this night to end. 

Finally, Bambi stood and pulled me up. He got my picture from where it was waiting on a table and put it with my files and paperwork before turning the whole thing in . They gave him a bracelet with a number on it and put a corresponding number on the front of the file. Bambi grabbed my wrist and put the bracelet on before pulling me toward the exit.