Out

"You're not as stupid as you're trying to act," said a voice from the doorway of the nursery, "I could hear your whole performance, but I don't buy it."

I looked up from rocking the little cribs, slowly. The claim was mildly alarming, but I didn't want to add to the person's beliefs by looking shocked. 

My eyes landed on a small elf, about the size of a ten year old. He couldn't have been the same kind of elf as Sora, though. His skin was darker than any other elf I'd ever met, a few shades darker than Chase even, and red eyes. I'd never seen an elf with red eyes. They were still slightly bigger with vertical slits in them, he still had the same sharp features as all the elves I'd ever met and the same pointy ears. He was just... different some how. 

"There were a few problems with your performance," the elf said looking at me with an intensity that would probably make a lot of other people squirm, "One, you didn't actually sound scared when you were first introduced to the dragons. You've been looking for them. Two, dragons don't like stupid. They wouldn't have started crawling all over you if you really were who you claim to be. Three, you've seen elves before. I can see it in your eyes, you're comparing me to another elf that you've met. Four, elves can tell when someone's lying and you've been feeding everyone a health dose of bull shit."

"What do you plan on doing about it?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. Apparently it was useless to try and lie my way out of this situation so I had to take a different approach with him. I had to figure out what he was planning and if necessary stop him. 

"You told Chase that you would be gone before morning," the elf said, "That was the one thing you've said so far that was completely true. I'm coming with you."

"Why would you want to come with?" I asked with mild shock. 

"I miss being outside, truly outside where there's grass and trees and no dome above me. I don't remember my parents, or where I come from, but I do remember being outside and I miss it," he said with a wistful look on his face. 

"What makes you think I'm going to let you come, too?" I asked, "You're not full grown. I couldn't just let you run off on your own. I have no guarantee that the elves I know would take you in. That would leave you with me."

I saw a flash of uncertainty go through his eyes and I almost felt bad for the elf but the question had to be asked. There was no way to tell which of the dragons was the one that the nymph had been talking about and there was a good possibility that I would end up taking care of the other two. This elf boy was asking me to take in one more. I wanted to hear why he believed that I would be willing to do that. 

"You're right," he said looking at me with just a hint of desperation, "the elves you know probably wouldn't take me in. You would be stuck taking care of me for a good portion of your life, but you're willing to break into one of the highest security facilities in the supernatural world to save a dragon. You wouldn't take the dragons and leave me behind because you're not that kind of person."

"That's assuming an awful lot," I replied with complete seriousness, "For all you know I'm doing this for money."

He was right, my conscious wouldn't let me leave him behind. I was completely aware that he was right, too. It was just a hard decision to make. 

"You're not," he said looking at me with his head tilted, "I can tell that it never occurred to you to take money for doing something like this. Not even a dragon could pay enough to convince someone to break into a SMH. You're doing this because you're a good person."

"No I'm not," I replied.

The desperation in his eyes changed to relief at my last words, "Thank you. You won't regret this. I'm going to help you break out. I know where they keep the keys and I know my way around. What's your plan?"