Fairy

This was the day. In less than twenty-four hours I would be long gone, easing my way into the real world and learning what it's like to be free... To a certain degree. I'll still have two werewolves following me around... but it will be different because they will be under my command, not trying to lock me in a cage. 

"Ready, Alpha Lady?" Arsen asked, poking his head into the room I was staying in, "Armaros and I are due to go on patrol together in a few hours and we need to have you in place soon."

"Yeah," I said wincing as I sat up, "Can you check my bandages before we go?"

"Of course, Alpha Lady," he said, walking in the rest of the way, "Lay on your stomach."

I did as instructed and resisted the urge to turn and slap him when he pulled my shirt up to my shoulders. 

"They don't look bad, but I'm going to change them anyways. I'm pretty sure that at least some of those will get ripped open on the run, and I don't want it getting infected because the bandages weren't clean. While I'm at it, I think I'm just going to change the ones on your leg too."

"Joy," I said sarcastically.

"You're the one who pissed him off."

"Yeah, I know... I couldn't help it. His buttons are big, bright red and begging to be pushed."

He started to peel the bandages back and I had to clench my teeth to avoid screaming. Touching them at this point in the healing process made pain shoot through my system and every time someone changed my bandages it felt like they were dumping acid on me. 

When he was done I pushed myself back into a sitting position, "Are you sure that the night patrol will be past the..."

"Yeah," he said, stopping me from fully voicing my thoughts, "They will, they've had the same schedule for the past year. They're not going to change it now."

"And all the stuff is stashed under the tree?"

"Yes, Alpha Lady; it's all there. We haven't forgotten anything."

"And our little... surprise for the big man?"

"All set up, and ready to go."

"And you're not going to purposely mess it up because you disagree with what I'm doing to him?"

"No."

"Good, take me to the tree then."

I tried to stand up but the leg that Jambres had shredded still wouldn't support my weight. 

"Careful there Alpha Lady. Moose and I still need you," Arsen said as he caught me. 

"Moose?" I asked as I sat back down on the edge of the bed. 

"Yeah, Moose. If you take out all the 'a's and 'r's from Armaros, you're left with 'm' 'o' 's'. Moose. That and he's just plain clumsy as a moose."

I laughed a little as I closed my eyes and waited for him to shift into his wolf form, "If I'm 'Alpha Lady' and Armaros is 'Moose', what's your nickname?"

"You don't nickname yourself, that's just weird," he replied before I could feel a shiver run through the air.  

Arsen nudged my hand with his furry head a few seconds later, letting me know that it was safe to look now. 

"Your valiant steed awaits," Armaros said as he walked in, "I came to see what was taking so long. I'm assuming he changed all your bandages and talked more than he worked?"

"Pretty much," I replied as Armaros came over to help me get on Arsen's back. 

Arsen snorted in protest just as Armaros apologized for the misfortune that had befallen me.