⚽️Chapter 21⚽️

Recap of last chapter:
"I am John Wesley, manager of the local foster care home. Where your friend, Asher used to be."

My heart stops for a second upon hearing Asher's name. I nod my head and he continues.

"He's been shipped to Florida so he couldn't run away again."

I stare blankly at the man, wondering if this is some cruel joke. His face wears a somewhat solemn expression with just a hint of cockiness.

I narrow my eyes at him, trying to make myself appear in control when I so obviously am not.

He stares right back at me and there we sit/stand for the next few minutes. We've blocked out the world except for our little staring contest. I feel my eyes watering, but this is not a battle I will lose so easily.

Finally he sighs and stands up, collecting his belongings. He gives me a curt nod and walks away.

I don't know how long I sit there before I realize that I have to do something.

I take off running for my house, Hershey pretty much dragging me. His moves are quick and agile while I basically crash through people, trashcans, and mailboxes like a wounded t-Rex stampeding through trees in flip-flops.

When I finally get to my house, I quickly unclip Hershey's leash and race up the stairs. I feel like I just ran a marathon.

I throw my hoodie on the bed and get out my laptop. My fingers fly across the keyboard, typing "Foster Homes near me".  A notification pops up asking if it could use my location. I click "yes " and scan the results:
Cleveland, Ohio local Hospital
Cleveland, Ohio Pet Adoption
Cleveland, Ohio Foster Care System
That's the one I want. I click on it and look through the website. Sure enough, "John Wesley, manager" with a picture of his cocky grin appears. I would really like to break his leg.

It doesn't let me see the kids who are there for confidential purposes. I finally find the phone number and decide that's my best option.

I reach for my phone and dial the number, waiting for a reply. In a matter of seconds, a woman's voice answers, "Hello."

I forget what I'm doing for a second but say, "hello, I'm Kier-"

"If you would like to speak to our manager, John Wesley, press one. If you would like to file a complaint, press two. If you would like to get paperwork for a child, press three. If you would like to discuss a child, press four."

Ha-ha... That was embarrassing. I move the phone away from my face and press 4. It rings for a few seconds and a man's voice answers this time, "Hello. I am Jake Scott, what may I help you with today?"

I listen for a second and then realize that I have to actually  answer.

"Um, hi. My name is Kiera Ashton and I would like to discuss about a friend of mine. I haven't spoken to him in a long time and-"

"Kiera, we aren't a counselor. We are a foster home. You should seek someone you trust for advice on boy problems."

"Boy problems?" Oh please.

My jaw drops for a second and I stutter, "N-no. I wanted to see about Asher  Stone. He's a foster kid there."

There's silence on the end of the line, but I can hear a few muffled voices. I try to listen but with no luck. While I'm "eavesdropping" the dude suddenly starts talking again, startling me.