Test 4: Playing Games

"Almost! Almost!!!"

I frantically mash buttons on the controller to beat a giant dragon boss.

"Ugh!! Die already you scum!!!"

The boss is already at 20% health, I can finish him at this rate.

A cutscene shows the final boss charging his energy, probably to execute some desperate, last resort super attack.

Today I'll finish this battle. After about 40 defeats, I shall prevail! I will, dang it!!

"Let the flame of destruction consume you!"

The boss is surrounded by flames and aims some ultimate skill at me. Well, I'll probably just have to mash a few buttons to dodge or repel it; no sweat.

Huge flame erupts from within the dragon's maw-

BLACK SCREEN

ERROR WINDOW

"Wh-wh-WHAAAAAAAAAAT!?"

I was going to defeat him! I was so close! After all this sweat and blood!

BAM

I slam on the table in anger and immediately google up the error message. I'll get to the bottom of this shit!

"Ugh! So it was a bug! Who QA tested this thing!?"

I drill my face into the table in despair.

Yet again, I'm forced to admit that my luck is the worst and my ability to come across bugs is god-tier. This curse has been traumatizing me since childhood, fueling my motivation to QA test all the things in existence.

"Nicky, are you okay and stuff?"

Amy is standing by my door.

"Yeah, I'm fine. A game crashed on me right in the final boss... dammit."

"Maybe it's a sign that you should do something else for a change?"

"Like what?"

I sneer while googling up suggestions for how to fix the cursed bug.

"You know, like going outside maybe? Meet with some friends or something?"

Outside? Never heard of that game.

"I meet with friends every day, in here."

I point at the screen.

Chatting with people via IMS is a lot more comfortable than meeting in the real world. Of course, this logic is alien to my sister.

"That's so sad."

She shrugs with a pitying voice. Mind your own business!

"I'm, like, going with friends to the cinema and the mall later today. You can come along if you want."

"Nope, not interested."

How does she even expect me to fit in with high schoolers? They are just a bunch of moody brats.

"So what is it? You need something?"

"Oh, right. I need to install that Waze navigation app."

"Huh? But you don't even have a car."

More precisely, nobody in this house got a car.

"It's like, Marky often complains that he runs out of battery when he drives and uses Waze. So you know, I could at least navigate with my own phone and stuff. "

If memory serves, Mark is the name of her boyfriend. Having my sister for a girlfriend, I can only offer him my condolences.

"Well, what do you need me for? Just download it from the app store."

"Here."

She shoves her phone into my hands. Seems like using the phone's facebook app is the limit of this girl's technological capabilities.

"Look, I'll teach you-"

"Just do your magic already~"

She pushes my hand away in rejection.

She's a lost case, the smartest choice here is to give up.

"Is your password still the same?"

"Yep."

I enter her password to the security popup window; it's a very pretentious "AmyQueen7".

The EASY, SIMPLE and SHORT process of downloading the app is wrapped up within moments. Though I claimed that I have bad luck with "products" during the job interview, I don't encounter any bugs while fiddling with the phone.

My bad luck seem to apply only to video games. It's a painful truth which I still insist on denying, even today.

"Here you go."

"Thanksy~"

She takes back the phone and heads to the door, throwing me one last glance before leaving.

"Going back to your games?"

"Naturally. By the way, are you done with the TV?"

"Yeah, yeah. You can use the PlayStation or whatever."

She sighs and gives me a frown. It always amazes me how allergic she is to video games.

I can understand "not liking" them, but her case feels more like "HATE WITH PASSION! DESTROY! TEENAGE HORMONES! RAWWWRRR".

She has the capabilities of an infant with electronics and she is a notorious video game hater... is this creature really my sister?

-------------------------------------------------------------

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Don't forget to vote if you liked the chapter!