Chapter 1

"Daddy!!" Gohan screamed, tears running down his cheeks as his golden aura surrounding him flickered wildly. It's my fault, I should have killed Cell sooner!! Gohan immediately started blaming himself.
The others just stared on in disbelief, not believing that Goku was gone. Krillin walked over to Gohan and placed his hand on his shoulder, reassuring the boy as much as he possibly could.
"That's it, just let all out, buddy," Krillin said with a small smile.
Briefly, everything seemed to be finally over, the threat was gone. That relief was short lived as a Ki blast was sent at them, soaring past everyone and blasting through Trunks' chest. Shocked everyone followed the blast, but quickly turned back when they heard familiar laughter.

"Hahahaha! My aim is still as good as always, it's so good to be back," Cell laughed, staring menacingly at the people bellow him as he descended and landed softly in front of them. Gohan felt his hope slip right through him as he powered up, trying to convince himself that he could defeat this evil and that everything would go back to normal. Shock coursed through him as he watched Vegeta attack the android. His hope slipped completely as he jumped in front of Vegeta, preventing the man from being killed by Cell's powerful blast. He stood in front of Vegeta, his arm hanging limply by his side as he waited for his demise, the earth's demise. He was, once again, shocked when Vegeta apologized, feeling rather sympathetic for the man.

He was prepared for his death, when his father's voice rang through his head, his guilt doubling when he realised that it was his fault for not only his father's death, but Trunks' as well. His father told him to stop feeling guilty, that it wasn't his fault, but he knew, deep down, that it was entirely his fault. His father helped convince him to continue fighting, to save the world. He and Cell both used the kamehameha to destroy each other. Cell's blast was quick to overtake Gohan's, nearly taking over completely. He watched as the others blasted attacks at Cell, trying to weaken him. He felt his guilt triple when they got blasted away, hurt. His father told him that they could look after themselves and that he needed to focus on Cell and letting go of his true power. He searched deep within himself and with the help and encouragement of his father, was able to pull out that power and destroy Cell completely.

Exhausted, Gohan fell from the sky and landed on his back, breathing heavily. The others surrounded him, relieved smiles on their faces as they watched Gohan laugh. Soon they flew up to the lookout together to wish back those who were killed by Cell. Gohan felt some of the guilt leave him once Trunks was back, but it grew more intense once his father told them that he didn't want them to bring him back, feeling he would only bring danger and harm to his family and friends. Gohan was broken completely, not knowing how to react. He smiled a fake smile at Krillin, not wanting the man to see his pain. Now he was left with the daunting task of telling his mother the news. He thought over how to break it to her as he flew home quietly.

He landed outside, barely registering his mother storming out of the house and enveloping him in a bone crushing hug, throwing question after question at him. He noticed his grandfather standing behind his mother, a concerned look on his face.
"Gohan, where's Goku?" Chi-Chi asked, staring at her son, wanting a reply.
"He's dead," Gohan said, no emotion showing on his face or in his eyes. He looked empty, completely void of any emotion.
"W-what?" Chi-Chi stuttered, something very rare for the feisty woman.
"He died against Cell, he doesn't want to be brought back," Gohan explained briefly.
"Oh, Gohan," Chi-Chi said, wanting to embrace her son as tears rolled down her cheeks, but was shocked when he dodged her, walking towards the house.
"I'd like to be alone, please," Gohan said quietly, not waiting for a reply as he entered their house.
Chi-Chi stared after her child, wanting to comfort him, but knowing he wants his space, she let him be to mourn in his own way.