Chapter 4

Gohan stood leaning against the kitchen counter and watched as the family in front of him ate breakfast. His mother had come to stay with the Briefs family until she gave birth. She had told Bulma that she didn't want to be alone at the moment. His mother was recovering quickly and was again knitting things for the baby who was to be born in a mere two months. Gohan could feel that they were slowly starting to forget about him. It was frustrating him in a way, that they could forget him so easily. The only person who constantly thought of him, was Vegeta. As strange as it may sound, the prince could not stop thinking of him. Gohan, of course, could sense what the reason was

Vegeta sighed quietly, not really feeling up to eating right now. His thoughts drifted towards the demi saiyan. Vegeta was starting to get frustrated with the whole thing. He could not get that brat out of his mind. Though Vegeta still felt a certain weight on his chest, it was steadily growing heavier and heavier. He was angry with himself that he hadn't noticed Gohan's depression earlier. He was the boy's prince for Kami's sake, how could he not have noticed it? However, he wasn't the boy's parent, it wasn't his job to notice and help the boy. But the boy was a Saiyan, for crying out loud! He should have just sucked it up and dealt with it!! Though, Gohan has always been soft, letting his emotions getting in the way. Vegeta sat wondering as he had done countless other times, did Gohan mean to actually commit suicide? Was it an accident?

Vegeta felt guilty for not noticing the boy's troubles and at least making an effort at helping him. As he was thinking now, it was quite obvious, the fake smiles and laughs, acting as though his father's choice hadn't hurt him. He had also noticed that the boy was blaming himself for quite a few things, his father's death one of the biggest things. All of this was Kakarot's fault! Does he even know that his son is dead? Is Gohan in heaven, or is he in hell? Does he feel peaceful wherever he is? Vegeta hoped, a rare feat for the Saiyan prince, that Gohan found that peace he so desired.
Vegeta was pulled out if his thoughts by his son, who was calling him and pointing at the kitchen counter.
"Daddy, daddy! Look! Boy! Hello boy! Boy sit?" Trunks asked waving his little arm wildly at the kitchen counter. Everyone turned their attention to where Trunks was looking and waving.

Gohan smiled and waved back at the little boy, he had discovered a few weeks ago that the little boy could see him. He had felt a great amount of relief when it had happened. Gohan was slowly starting to gain his emotions back, though they were mostly negative.
"There's no one there, Trunks," Vegeta said, grunting as he started eating again.
Trunks' face fell, saddened that his father doesn't believe him.
"Hey Trunks," Gohan said, gaining the little boy's attention, "Don't listen to what old grumpy pants is saying, alright?"
Trunks broke out in a smile, clapping his hands and giggling at the new nickname for his father.
Vegeta stared at the little boy, wondering if it were normal for the boy to have an imaginary friend at such a young age.

Months went by with Trunks continuously mentioning a boy that was constantly around them.
Trunks was currently sitting on the living room floor with Chi-Chi knitting as she sat on the couch, quite uncomfortable with her baby kicking her constantly. Vegeta sat on another couch, watching television as he was taking a break from his training. Bulma was sitting next to the prince, though she was paying more attention to what her son was doing than anything else.
"This my car, see?" Trunks said as he picked up one of his toys and showing it to Gohan.
"I see, that's a cool car, huh?" Gohan said, amusement shining in his eyes.
"Yes, my car cool," Trunks said as he placed the toy back on the floor, trying to decide what else to show the boy.

Bulma watched with a smile on her face, it was cute to see her son showing off his toys to his imaginary friend. Vegeta glanced at his child from the corner of his eye.
"Boy? What boy name?" Trunks asked, catching the attention of everyone in the room.
"I don't remember, Trunks," Gohan said, a soft expression on his face. He had gradually forgotten quite a bit of things about himself.
"Boy don't remember?" Trunks asked, confusion written all over his face.
"Yes, I don't remember anything," Gohan explained.
"Boy not worry, me name boy?" Trunks asked.
"Sure go ahead, buddy," Gohan laughed.
Trunks looked thoughtful for a moment.
"I think, okay boy?" Trunks said, not being able to come up with a name at the moment.
"Sure," Gohan said with a reassuring smile.
"When baby come, he can help Trunks name boy," Trunks said while pointing at Chi-Chi's stomach.

Gohan glanced back at his mother, noticing that she was silently staring at the two, though she was only supposed to be staring at Trunks. Gohan sighed quietly before turning back to Trunks, who was staring at him with curiosity.
"Why boy sad?" He asked.
"I miss someone," Gohan explained, watching as Trunks started looking sad himself.
"Boy miss family?" Trunks asked.
Gohan smiled sadly and nodded at the boy, still slightly amused.
"Where family?" Trunks asked as he started frowning.
"Somewhere, I don't remember," Gohan explained, well aware of the eyes that were on them.
"Boy can't find family?" Trunks looked up at Gohan, his eyes saddening as Gohan shook his head.
"I be boy's family! That's my mommy and daddy! They be boy's mommy and daddy, too!" Trunks yelled happily as he pointed at Bulma and Vegeta.
"You sure grumpy pants would want another son?" Gohan asked, laughing when Trunks started giggling and fell over.

As Trunks sat up, a thoughtful look crossed over his face as he slowly stood and walked over to his parents, wobbling slightly as he went. He walked to Vegeta and tugged on his pant leg, grabbing Vegeta's attention. He looked down at the boy who was staring at him curiously.
"You be boy's daddy?" He asked, a serious expression on his face.
Vegeta smirked briefly.
"Sure," he answered, wanting to keep the child happy.
Trunks giggled happily as he started walking back over to his toys and plopped down.
"Daddy be boy's daddy, okay? So boy no be sad anymore," Trunks said sternly.

"Hey buddy, tell daddy to call the ambulance," Gohan said as he could sense that Chi-Chi was about to go into labour.
"What?" Trunks asked, eyes big.
"Auntie Chi-Chi needs to go to the hospital," Gohan explained.
"Haspitol? What that?" Trunks asked, once again gaining everyone's attention.
"The baby's coming," Gohan said calmly.
"Baby coming?" Trunks repeated.
Just as he said that, Chi-Chi let out a scream, clutching her stomach in pain. Vegeta sat still for a moment. How did Trunks know that Chi-Chi would be going into labour? Shaking his head, Vegeta stood and glanced at Bulma who nodded and ran to the yard, grabbing Trunks as she went. Vegeta picked Chi-Chi up to carry her to the helicopter. It wasn't long until they reached the hospital, Gohan sensing Chi-Chi's pain the entire time.

They were sitting in the waiting room, waiting for a doctor to come out and tell them how it went. Trunks giggled as Gohan pulled faces at him, making the boy happy so that he wouldn't be able to sense what was going on.
Bulma laughed as Trunks attempted to pull faces at Gohan, too. She found it funny that the boy was laughing and pulling faces at nothing. She stopped watching once the doctor came in, asking for the people who was there for Son Chi-Chi.
"How is she?" Bulma asked, worried something might have gone wrong.
"She's fine, just resting now, she gave birth to a healthy baby boy," the doctor explained with a smile.
Bulma smiled as she turned to Vegeta, who didn't seem to be paying any attention to what the doctor was saying.

"Can we see them?" Bulma asked. The doctor nodded, gesturing for them to follow. They entered a room where Chi-Chi was laying, holding a little bundle in her arms. She smiled up at them once they entered the room. Bulma walked over and sat on the plastic chair next to Chi-Chi's bed.
"He looks just like Goku," Bulma said as she looked at the little boy that was laying wrapped in the blanket.
Gohan walked over, looking at the face of the new arrival. Bulma was right, he looked exactly like Goku, the only person he could remember. Intense anger filled Gohan as he stared at the baby's face.
"Boy? What name?" Trunks asked, staring at the little boy.
"Goten," Chi-Chi said, a smile on her face as she traced a finger over the little boy's face. Gohan's anger grew as he saw the two woman smiling down at the boy. Not even Trunks seemed to be noticing him anymore.

Vegeta stood off to the side, a small smile on his face that no one noticed. No one but one. Gohan let out an angry growl, catching Trunks' attention. The purple haired boy looked up at him. Gohan had a dark look on his face as he glared down at the baby, but he didn't understand, why was he so angry. Gohan stopped his glaring once he realised he wasn't actually angry at Goten, but at Goku. He just felt angry because Goten looked so much like Goku. Gohan visibly relaxed and leaned against the wall, looking at Trunks and smiling at the boy. Trunks hesitated, but smiled back.
"Boy be brother, too?" Trunks asked, though he was actually asking Gohan.
"Sure Trunks, Goten can be your brother if you want him to be," Chi-Chi answered, not looking up from her baby's face.
Gohan nodded at Trunks as the boy hadn't stopped looking at him. Trunks giggled happily.
"Now Trunks has two brothers! Big brother and baby brother!" He laughed cutely, first pointing to where Gohan stood then to Goten.
"You sure do, kiddo, you sure do," Bulma said, not wanting to hurt the child's feelings and tell him that his big brother wasn't real. He wasn't real, was he?