Chapter Eight

A/N: Sing a happy song, sing a happy song... Why don't you dance along and sing a happy song? So, you might notice that I'm making Beth connect with the audience a little more and become likable to you guys... I may or may not be doing that in preparation for a chapter that's coming in the future... :)

"Holy shit..." I breathed out as we made it into the hangar of the building we were previously locked in to get to Charles before it was too late. "You know." I turned and looked at the rest of the group. "The bad guys always have better stuff."

"Not true." Amy piped up from her spot next to Peter. "We have powers. All they have is machines."

I gave a small smile before turning towards a cabinet that had a blue casing over it.

"Hey Hank, think you can fly this thing?" Raven's voice echoed before Scott too was intrigued by the cabinet and pushed the button to open it.

"Yeah... I can figure it out." Hank answered, glancing over at us when there was an air sealing noise.

"Hey guys, Flight suits." Scott announced, catching the attention of everyone else.

Raven walked over and inspected one before she turned to Hank. "You've got your warplane." She paused, taking in his facial expression. "Let's go to war."

I sighed. "Can we go on one god damn trip without having to get in a damn body suit?" I asked, ripping one of the suits off of the hanger and walking behind a wall to change.

--Time Skip--

I was sat in between Jean and Scott, awkwardly twiddling my thumbs while hearing Peter pop bubbles with his gum and looking up at the ceiling of the plane. "What are we gonna do after we win this thing?" I asked through the silence that hung in the air. "I know this really good ice cream place, we could go there." Everyone's eyes turned to me confused, making me laugh. "I think I might be a little hungry... But seriously, we should all go get ice cream after this."

Jean turned to me and smiled. "I think that might be a good idea." She said kindly. I met her eyes and her smile turned into a sad one as she hesitated to speak. "Were you scared?" She turned to Raven and then back to me. "That day in DC... Were either of you scared..?"

"No." Raven said quickly.

I shook my head and averted my eyes towards the ceiling again. "I was. I was standing face to face with death itself so many times that day. And Erik was of course an asshole and flinging all of this shit at me, throwing me against walls..." I looked across to Peter. "But he's lovely." I exaggerated the word in hopes of making him feel a little easier about the man known as Magneto being his father.

"I wasn't scared in DC..." Raven spoke once more. "But... I was scared on my first mission."

"Don't even get me started on our first mission. God that day was awful." I said while fake gagging. "I was all gross and bloody..."

"You sure get hurt a lot. First time I met you, you got shot." Peter quipped.

"Shut up, Quickie." I scoffed jokingly. "Continue on, Raven."

She chuckled and nodded at me before looking back to Jean. "I was on a plane like this with my friends... About your age, actually." Raven turned around and looked at the floor. "We called ourselves 'The X-Men.'" She said, breathing out a laugh. "Your brother was there." She said to Scott, my heart picking up at the mention of Alex. I smiled and looked to Scott as well. "We used to call him Havoc. He was a real handful but, when it came down to it... he was very brave."

Kurt's voice made me turn to look towards him, making me notice the tear falling down my face. "What happened to rest of the kids from that mission? The X-Men?"

I looked down at the ground before looking back up. "Raven, Hank and I are the only ones left..."

"I couldn't save the rest of them..." Raven said sadly. "I told you, I'm not a hero."

"Well you're a hero to us." Jean informed her. I smiled and watched while Raven turned to her confused. "Seeing you that day on tv... Changed my life."

"Mine too." Kurt nodded.

"Mine too.." Peter said looking over at us. "I mean. I still live in my mom's basement but pfft. But everything else is um-... Well, it's pretty much the same." He laughed. "I'm a total loser."

Everyone laughed and the plane was filled with a comfortable silence, until I decided to speak up. "So. After this. Remember. Ice cream." Everyone laughed again, agreeing. I smiled and put my head on Scott's shoulder. "I can't wait to just go home-....Well wherever we end up staying- and just sleep. I might fall asleep on you right now actually."

Scott chuckled and took my hand in his. "Just don't get yourself killed, okay?"

"Yes, sir." I said with a fake American accent.

"Promise?" He asked, looking down at me with a serious face.

I leaned away from his shoulder to look at him in his sunglass covered eyes. "I promise." I said, using my regular British accent. The plane started shaking and I inwardly groaned. "Okay, I'll fall asleep on your shoulder on the way back."

"Seventh wonder twelve o'clock!" Hank announced while Raven came to a stand and held onto the hand grips on the ceiling.

"I'm not looking forward to this at all..." I muttered. Jean's sudden gasp made me snap out of my annoyance and be on the alert, looking her over carefully. "You okay?! What's wrong?"

"He has the professor in the center of the pyramid. He's going to transfer his consciousness into the professor..." She paused and looked at me. "If he does that he'll have the power to control every mind in the world!"

I unbuckled and quickly made my way to the front of the plane, gripping onto Moira's seat. "We have to get down there, now!"

"Working on it!" Hank shot back.

Moira leaned a little to the left. "What the hell is that?"

I followed her line of vision and grit my teeth. "It's Erik. That mother fuc-" I cut myself off when Peter appeared next to me in a blink, looking where we were all looking.

"You guys help Nightcrawler get in the pyramid." Raven ordered everyone that was still in the back of the plane. "Get Charles, I'll take care of Erik."

"How are you gonna get through that, huh? Are you looking to die?" I asked in a panic.

"I can get her in there." Peter said from his spot behind Hank's seat, looking to Raven. "I came here for him. Let me help you."

"The rest of you, get Charles, get him on the plane and get him out of here!" I shouted over the constant beeping of the plane.

"We're not leaving without you!" Kurt protested.

"Don't worry. We'll catch up." Peter assured.

I sighed while my heart was beating a million times faster each minute. "Shit."