Chapter 18- Ryoma vs Kevin

Chapter 18: Ryoma vs Kevin

"OK, I'll serve now!" Ayame called to Ryoma from the other side of the court.

Ayame tossed the ball and swung her racket down. The ball sailed over the net, and Ryoma returned it. Ayame hit the highest lob that she could hit. Ryoma leaped up and used a backhand swing. The ball flew into the rope that held the net, and it split in half. Ayame returned both halves, but Ryoma was only able to return one.

"Che..." Ryoma sighed.

"Oi, Ryoma," Ayame said. "I think you should hurry up and try to master rallying with two halves. We don't have an infinite amount of tennis balls to bust in half."

They were about to return to position until they were spotted by a blonde American that looked like he was their age.

"Ryoma Echizen!" he called out in English.

Ayame and Ryoma stopped and looked over to the boy.

"What do you want?" Ryoma called back.

"Play a match with me," the boy called back. "I've been waiting for years to face you!"

"Who are you?" Ryoma asked.

"I'm Kevin Smith!" the boy replied. "I've finished my preparations to beat you long ago!"

"Are you gonna play?" Ayame asked Ryoma.

"May as well," Ryoma answered. "I'm sure I can beat him without using my Muga no Kyouchi, Drive C, Drive D, COOL Drive, and Samurai Drive."

"Hah, you still talk big, bastard," Ayame said as she stepped off the court. "I'll be the ref!"

Ryoma and Kevin got onto the court while Ayame sat back and watched.

"Are you playing for the revenge of your father?" Ryoma asked.

Ayame remembered what Rinko told her. Fifteen years earlier, Nanjiroh had defeated Kevin's father George Smith miserably. It all happened when Rinko was injured trying to rescue a boy from his Spartan methods of teaching tennis. Nanjiroh had seen her injured, and he heard from other Americans that George had done it to Rinko. At that point, he was like, oh no he didn't, so he ended up playing a match with George. Nanjiroh easily defeats him, even doing so with his eyes closed, causing George to quit tennis.

"That's not it!" Kevin said angrily. "Don't confuse me for my dad!"

Kevin had grown up being abused by his father. He viewed George as useless, as he had quit tennis. Kevin later learned that it was because George was utterly beaten by Echizen Nanjiroh. After some time had passed, Kevin learned about Nanjiroh's son Ryoma playing in the tournaments and winning them. He had thought, no way I'd lose to a Japanese guy, so he got serious and trained hard, all to defeat Ryoma.

Ryoma ended up serving first, and he executed his Twist Serve, which Kevin didn't return.

"15-0!"

Ryoma hit a Twist Serve again, and this time Kevin returned it. They rallied until Ryoma executed a Drive B.

"30-0!"

Ryoma held serve. It was Kevin's serve, and he hit a Twist Serve. Ryoma, stunned, avoided the ball as he didn't react on time to return it.

"15-0!"

Ayame stared as she noted that Kevin's Twist Serve was exactly like Ryoma's. However, she kept calm as she continued to judge. Kevin held his serve, leaving the game score as 1-1.