Chapter 32- A Day at the Beach

Chapter 32: A Day at the Beach

"Huh?! So you've never surfed before, Ayame-chan?!" Momo exclaimed.

"No," Ayame answered.

Ayame had gone to the beach with the Seigaku tennis club, and she was out in the middle of the sea on a surfboard with Momo and Ryoma. Fuji was also out on the sea, and the rest of the Seigaku members were grilling back at the shore. Ayame wanted Ryoma and Momo to teach her how to surf so she could join them.

"There aren't any waves around," Ryoma said after looking around. "Ne, Momo-senpai. How about we race to see who can get to Fuji-senpai first? Last one there has to buy juice."

"So you guys are gonna race on surfboards?" Ayame asked.

"You want to go too?" Momo asked her.

"Yeah," Ayame answered.

Ryoma and Momo already set off towards Fuji. Ayame was struggling to keep up with them, as her arms weren't strong enough to catch up to the boys. After sometime of lagging behind, she lowered the lower half of her body into the water and propelled herself forward by kicking. She managed to pass up Ryoma and Momo and reached Fuji first.

"That was pretty good, Kanna," Fuji remarked. "I didn't know you were capable of moving quickly on water."

"I can run on water," Ayame said. "But it's so tiring. And pushing against it makes it harder to move."

"So you've been keeping that a secret from Echizen?"

"What makes you think that?"

"He looks shocked."

Ayame looked back to see that Ryoma was indeed stunned that she can move that quickly if she used her legs. Momo had the same expression as well.

"No..." Ayame said. "It's just my legs are a lot stronger than my arms... Ryoma knows that, but I wonder why he never applied it to this..."

After sometime, Ryoma and Momo finally got to Ayame and Fuji.

"Took you long enough," Ayame said. "Now you both owe me some Ponta! And make it the cherry flavor!"

"Ayame-chan, you can move that fast on water?" Momo asked.

"On a surfboard, I suppose..." Ayame answered. "But without one, I move faster."

"Huh?" Momo was confused.

"Ayame can run on water," Ryoma explained.

"Well hey, if you spent most of your training into your legs, this is the result," Ayame said. "But then again, not training my arm strength went back to bite me. Ryoma would've wrecked me in so many matches if we were to play each other back then."

Ayame then cringed.

"What's wrong?" Fuji asked.

"Oishi-senpai is really loud," Ayame remarked as she clapped a hand to her ear that was pointed at the shore. "What the hell is he all worked up about?"

"Eh? You can hear Oishi-senpai from all the way out here?" Momo asked.

"Her five senses are very sharp," Ryoma explained. "That's how she heard you and Eiji-senpai when she first came to the school and met up with me."

"Yeah..." Ayame said. "It was really scary when Rikkai's buchou almost stole them away from me. But anyway, speaking of Oishi-senpai... Why is he yelling? I've never heard him snap like that before."

"That's right, everyone else is grilling..." Fuji said. "Oishi is the Yakiniku Bugyou." (A/N: "bugyou" means "dictator" or "magistrate". Take your pick.)