Chapter 24

We finished transporting all the branches and skinny logs upstream to our camp by the time it was getting dark. The sun nearly below the trees, the incoming chill in the air made the hair on my arms stand on end, which for once was quite welcoming. After all, we were both dripping sweat after hours of working.

Mr. Rush laid back in the grass, breathing in a deep sigh of relief, happy to be done for the night. I sat down next to him and the thirty-five or so thick branches and logs. I eyed the daisy that was only a few feet away from where we were resting in the grass. It was comforting, to say the least. It, unfortunately, wasn't enough though to physically make me feel better. With each minute, the air became colder – too cold soon enough. It made me feel really stupid that I took a quick dip in the creek to cool off not a half hour ago. At least, I wasn't the only stupid one who did that.

He looked colder than me, which made me feel slightly guilty when I spoke. "You should walk down the creek one more time and grab some flint on the beach. The one we have is getting harder to use with how small it is. While you are doing that, I can see if those berries are still there and get some s-s-sticks together for the f-fire," I said, beginning to stutter. Thank you, cold.

Though not looking happy with the way I said those words, he nodded in agreement. He went back down the creek's bank, clearly looking as if in physical distress, We shared that feeling with how my muscles felt shattered and my back sore. My legs were in pain too as I walked towards where the berries should be.

At the sight of little red and black dots on the bushes, my sore legs moved faster. I reached the berries that were on the right side of the waterfall and uphill slightly. As I began to pick a few and ate them, I quickly realized just how terribly cold I was getting. Darkness was creeping in and with it came the chill. Being wet and now shaking, it pushed me to get this done. I picked as many berries as I could for us, gathered some brush and sticks for a fire, and returned back with wobbly legs.

I nestled the berries in the grass next to the daisy so I could easily find where I left them. I dropped the sticks and brush a few yards back into the spacious woods where we would sleep tonight. By this point, I could hear my teeth chattering together. I couldn't stop shaking so I did what felt natural to do. I laid down and waited for him, curling my legs into my chest, trying to get warm.

I instantly stretched back out a second later, though. A strangled groan released from between my chattering teeth. God, the pain all that carrying caused was taking its effect at the worst moment.

I rolled slowly to me feet, fighting a grunt at the building pressure my legs and back were gaining. I found the suitcase, dragged it with straining arms back to where I was before, and laid back down. I reached my hand up and dug it into the suitcase, fishing out one of the shirts. I began rubbing it hard over my body, needing to somehow get dry or warm.

My hand moved over me, desperate to eliminate any little spot on my body that was wet. When I realized why it wasn't working, I took off the green top, laughing at the fact that I was in just my bra again. I was cut off when the air hit my bare wet stomach, making me shake harder. I continued rubbing the shirt over me and after a minute, the top half of my body was dry. I stuck a hand back into the bag and pulled out the first thing I touched: another tank top. No long sleeve shirts of course.

I threw it on, and it caressed my freezing skin, only giving me a little comfort. Now, time to take care of the rest of me. With a wince, I was able to pry my damp shorts down after a long fight with aching muscles. Once that was done, I laid there and dried the bottom half of myself with the shirt I was using as a towel. I was tempted to take off my bra and underwear since those were still wet but not even the cold could get me to do that... not when Mr. Rush could turn up any second.