Chapter 4

Evie held on for dear life as her brother raced a carriage they had stolen through the streets of Whitechapel. The twins were on their way to meet Henry, who needed them for a gang war. Jacob took little care when it came to driving a carriage, and Evie was sure that they would collide sooner or later. To her surprise, they managed to meet Henry still in one piece, yet feeling very dizzy.

"Ah there you are!" Henry greeted the pair, walking over to them.

Several rooks were crowded around the twins, waiting for their command.

"All that stands between you and Whitechapel is the villain controlling the boroughs. Kaylock has demanded to settle the claim for territory in a gang fight. Here, these might be of some use to you," Henry informed them, handing Jacob a golden Kukri.

"What's this Greenie? Assassin christmas?" Jacob asked, snatching the blade and admiring it.

Henry handed one to Evie, their hands brushing against each other.

"Gather your allies. The fight will start soon." Henry coughed, turning to Jacob.

Jacob and Evie nodded, both admiring their new weapons.

————————————————————————————————————————————

Ruby walked through the streets of London, trying to find clues on the shroud of Eden. I.B was asleep in her satchel, after tormenting her the entire day. Several people had cast her suspicious glances as she chased I.B down the street, and she had just managed to catch the robot before he flew in front of a train. The train conductor had shouted several profanities at Ruby, and she ran away before the police got involved. Tired and worn out, she made her way back to Whitechapel without finding any clues on the shroud. This mission was extremely difficult, as she was given no information on Starrick or the shroud, and had to rely on I.B to tell her the history of London. She walked to the inn that she was staying in, a few men in green suits tipping their hats at her. I.B had informed her that the men wearing green suits were part of Jacob Frye's gang, while the men wearing red suits were part of Starrick's gang. Even though Ruby was supposed to focus on Starrick and his gang, she found the Rooks far more courteous than the Blighters, who roamed the street and seemingly beat up everyone who crossed their path.

Walking into the Inn, Ruby handed the owner a shilling. She glanced into her purse, letting out a deep sigh. Money was becoming tight, as she realised that the money she was given would definitely not last her the two weeks that she had hoped for. She put her purse away and walked into her room, taking I.B out of her satchel and placing him onto the windowsill. Ruby noticed the five bars on the back blinking red. She let out a sigh of relieve. I.B would not be able to torment her when his battery was dead. Come morning, however, the sun would charge him back up. For now though, she had all the peace and quiet in the world.

After washing her face and changing into her nightclothes, Ruby looked over her notes. She had written down important locations and people, hoping to find evidence on the location of the shroud. Ruby was tracing a red line from Starrick to the Frye twins, when a loud beeping noise filled the room, almost giving her a heart attack. I.B was beeping loudly, causing her next door neighbour to loudly tap on the wall.

"For god's sake, be quiet. I'm trying to sleep here!"

Ruby shouted back an apology before rushing over to I.B.

"What is wrong?"

"Low battery," I.B replied, still beeping.

"I know, that is why you should be shut off until morning. Why are you on?"