Chapter 25

Ruby sighed heavily as she looked at herself in the mirror one last time. She had become very attached to the Rook's uniform, dreading going back to her time.

Ruby had decided several days ago that she would have to leave, so that she could fix the mess in her time.

A loud knock on her door ripped Ruby out of her thoughts.

"We are almost at Whitechapel," Jacob informed her, as he stepped into the cart.

Ruby nodded slowly and picked up I.B from her desk.

"Are you excited? Nervous?"

"A bit of both. Who knows what sort of chaos the future is in right now."

Jacob softly chuckled, before holding the door open for Ruby. She stepped onto the platform as the train came to a stop, butterflies erupting in her stomach. She wanted to leave where everything had begun.

Henry and Evie got off the train as well, and the group started to head into a nearby alleyway.

I.B tooted softly as the four adults looked at each other, none of them wanting to be the first to say goodbye.

It was Ruby, who mustered up her courage.

"I will miss you," she simply said, looking at the ground.

Evie walked towards her and wrapped her arms around Ruby, holding the younger woman tightly.

"We will miss you too. Without your help, I don't think we could have defeated Starrick."

I.B coughed.

"I haven't forgotten you, I.B. Without your database, we would have been lost," Evie laughed.

I.B gave a gleeful toot and bumped his round metallic body gently against Evie's forehead. Jacob smiled at his sister, before turning to Ruby.

"Without you, the missions wouldn't have been as fun as they were. Just don't go scaring people half to death by trapping yourself in a room engulfed with flames."

Ruby chuckled, tracing circles on the floor with her foot.

"I promise I won't. You must promise to be nicer to your sister and to not raise your blade towards her. She does a lot for you, wether you notice it or not," Ruby told him sternly, before her face turned gentle again.

"And please, look after everyone."

Jacob smiled at her, nodding and wrapping his arms around her tightly.

"I will."

As he let go, Ruby turned to Henry and smiled at him. He returned the gesture, taking her into his arms.

"Look after yourself. I haven't told Evie yet," he whispered to her.

Ruby nodded, letting go and looking at him.

"Tell her when the time is right."

"How long have you known about our connection?" Henry asked, curious.

"That day in the fire. I guess I.B didn't want me to die without me knowing where my family came from," Ruby told him, as she observed the twins, who were already bickering again.

Henry and Ruby both sighed, as they watched the twins.

"Good luck with them," Ruby chuckled.

"I'll handle them somehow," Henry said, placing his hands on his hips.

"You two, it's time," I.B shouted at the twins, taking control of the situation.

Evie and Jacob immediately stopped, and walked towards Ruby.