Chapter 15

A/N

The song that Ruby and Evie sing is called 'Family' and is heard in the title menu of the game. Go ahead and listen to it now for an added effect :)

Ruby ran as fast as she could, not caring that her lungs were about to burst. She needed to get away from everything and clear her head. The day had been too much and she did not want to look Jacob, Evie or Henry in the eye. Using her new rope launcher, Ruby launched herself to the top of the Big Ben. She sat down and looked at the city under the night sky. Lights sparkled in the distance and illuminated the sky. A soft breeze danced around Ruby and she took a deep breath. She quietly began humming a song that her mother used to sing to her whenever she was upset. The wind carried her voice and all of her stress and anxiety from the day away with it. A tear trailed down Ruby's cheek as she sang the song, memories of her belated mother flooding her mind.

A second voice started to softly humming along. Ruby turned around and noticed Evie standing behind her, singing the same tune with a sad expression on her face.

The haunting melody danced around them and as both young women finished the song, Evie smiled at Ruby and sat down next to her.

"You know it too?"

Ruby nodded and wiped away her tears.

"My mother used to sing it to me. I always loved the tune."

Evie nodded in agreement.

"My grandmother sang it whenever I was upset. The tune always put me at ease. I'm glad that it is still known in your time," Evie said, admiring the view.

"I wanted to make sure that you were feeling well. If I may distract you, what was your family like?"

Ruby smiled and took a deep breath, turning to Evie.

"My family was amazing. My mother had the most beautiful singing voice, singing at weddings and on stage. She enticed everyone, luring them in and making people forget about their worries. Even the most skeptical or grumpiest of men were able to feel liberated by her voice. My father was addicted to the written world, and he would always read me a story before bedtime. His voice was so gentle and so full of emotion, that I would often fall asleep to the sound of it. We were happy. Before the war, everything was perfect."

Ruby trailed off, casting her eyes to the tiles that she was sitting on.

"One day, when I was thirteen, bombs dropped from the sky, tearing my town to shreds. Everything happened so fast and I still don't know exactly how I got out. Separated from my parents, I ran as fast as I could, crying and tripping over my own feet. FPO found me and took me in, saying that I was the only survivor of my town. Ever since then, I've been trained and was chosen for the mission. But now, who knows what the FPO is really for. These past six years have been a lie. A lie to get rid of me."

Ruby's voice shook and teardrops trailed down her cheek. She did not even notice that she was shaking, until Evie placed her hand on Ruby's shoulder.

"Thank you for telling me this. You have had a long day and should rest," Evie suggested, standing and helping Ruby up.

"I need to talk to Jacob. He took it worse than you and Henry," Ruby said, looking over the city once more.

"He is most likely in a pub with his Rooks."

"I think I know which one he might be in. I've been there before," Ruby told her.

Evie nodded, before leaving Ruby.