Chapter 8

"Alright I.B. From today on, I will focus on my mission and will not let myself be distracted by Jacob or Evie. I have a job to do and the entire world depends on me getting this right," Ruby announced, balling her hands into fists and looking determined.

Her determination was cut short by metallic snickering.

"As if that will happen."

"Are you doubting my abilities to complete the mission?"

"If you are already struggling now, I highly doubt you will get very far."

"Wow, thanks for the encouragement," Ruby scoffed, sitting down on her bed and flicking through the pages of a new book Evie found.

She ignored the robot, trying to concentrate on the task at hand. Evie, Henry and Ruby were busy reading all sorts of books and documents, trying to find the exact location of the shroud. Since Henry tried to avoid doing fieldwork, he spent most of his time in the train reading, while Evie and Ruby would go out to the different locations he sent them to.

Ruby enjoyed spending time with Evie. The young woman carried an air of sophistication and knowledge, always holding her head high and never failing with her words. While Evie seemed strict and mature, she was incredibly compassionate and often enjoyed talking to Ruby about things that weren't related to their missions. Ruby learnt a lot about Evie's past- how she would often sit outside her father's office and eavesdrop in on the important conversations that she wasn't allowed to be part of, or the shenanigans Jacob would get up to in his youth. Ruby always enjoyed it when Evie told her stories, and she respected the woman dearly.

Ruby sighed, standing up from her bed, stretching. The book did not seem to contain any worthy information. Taking the book, Ruby made her way to Evie's cart hoping for a distraction. Evie was sitting at her desk, copying maps and diagrams.

"Good afternoon, Ruby. Did you find anything?"

"No, not yet. Is it alright if I sit on your bed?"

Evie hummed in approval, not turning away from her books. Ruby sat down on Evie's bed, the curtains shielding her from the door, as she started pouring over the book again.

A soft knock was heard and Ruby heard Henry walk in.

"Miss Frye, I have brought some books. I hope I'm not intruding."

Evie immediately turned her attention to Henry, catching Ruby's smirk on the way.

"Quite the contrary. It's nice to have the company," Evie answered, ignoring the facial expressions that Ruby was pulling at her.

"A herbarium? Are you collecting flowers for someone?" Evie asked, as she noticed the books that Henry was putting down.

While Henry could not see Ruby, Ruby had a clear view of everything that was going on. She decided to stay very quiet, so that she would not interrupt the moment.

"Only myself. Did you know that each flower has a symbolic meaning? Unfortunately, I have no time to fill the books and no room in my shop to keep them," Henry informed her, flicking through several pages.

An idea sprang to Evie's mind.

"I could help you collect some samples. I do run across quite a few flowers when I am out in the field. That is, if you would accept my help."

Henry nodded, a smile breaking out on his face.

"I would appreciate that. Thank you, Miss Frye," he thanked her, before turning around and leaving the cart.