Chapter 12

"The data that has been collected from the TM1 is ready to be applied to the TM2, Boss," Jack informed, reading over the clipboard full of information as he walked into Boss' office.

"Excellent. Have the men prepare the TM2 immediately. The sooner we have both machines running, the sooner we can save the future," Boss ordered, looking up from his computer.

"Yes, sir. May I ask how Ruby is doing?" Jack asked, wanting to know how his friend was.

Boss smiled.

"The TM1 is running smoothly. She should be back soon, if she succeeds. Now run along."

Jack nodded, before turning around. As he left, he could not help but feel a certain uneasiness creep down his spine.

Boss' smile was wiped off the minute Jack had turned around. Lifting up the phone, he dialled the number to the room that both time machines were in.

"Jack will be in your office in a few minutes. Pretend to read data from the TM1. No one is not allowed to know the truth about the machine. While you are at it, ready the TM2. I want to be in the 19th century by this afternoon. Someone needs to make sure that the girl is completing the mission exactly how we want her to."

————————————————————————————————————————————

Ruby waited in the shadows, her arms crossed over her chest. If she had everything calculated correctly, Miss Thorne would walk past her in a few minutes. They had just managed to arrive at the Cathedral in time, after jumping out of the moving train and running as fast as the could. Ruby's heart was beating heavy in her chest. She hated going against the Frye twins, but she had no choice. If she wanted to save the future, sacrifices had to be made. The mantra that Evie always seemed to chant to herself echoed in Ruby's mind.

Don't let personal feelings compromise the mission.

Evie only had to chant that to herself to stop her mind from wandering to Henry. For Ruby, she had to stop her mind from wandering to the happiness she felt when she went out on missions with Jacob, Evie and Henry. She found it astonishing that she had grown so attached to her three new friends, and found it equally sad that she would soon have to leave them again.

Shaking her head, Ruby sighed and tried to shake off her feelings. Miss Thorne rushed past her, out of breath and clutching a necklace in her hands. Her hat was askew and beads of sweat rolled down her face.

"Miss Thorne, a word please," Ruby requested, stepping out of the shadows.

Lucy Thorne looked at the young girl, confused. A hand protectively went to her dagger, readying herself for an attack. Ruby lifted both her hands.

"I mean you now harm. In fact, I am on your side," she informed the woman, pulling out the Templar badge that she was given, hoping that she was given the correct item.

Miss Thorne's posture did not relax.

"I have never seen you before."

"There is a reason for that. I am here to ensure that Crawford Starrick finds the shroud of Eden. I myself do not know exactly of it's current whereabouts, but I am researching day and night and have come to a possible location," Ruby quickly explained.

Miss Thorne relaxed, slightly. She shifted her weight onto one leg, observing Ruby and thinking.

"Have you heard of the name Frye?"