Chapter 20

The pair talked deep into the night and Ruby learned new information about Henry Green. He told her the story of his life in India- how Ethan Frye had trained him to be an Assassin and how he became 'The Ghost'.

"After my failed attempt to assassinate Tjinder Dani, I was imprisoned. Sent to be executed even, but Ethan argued to have me sent to England instead. I've always lacked the killing instinct and failing Evie's mission made me recall my past."

"So this is why you hate participating in field work. Does Evie know about any of this?" Ruby asked, taking a sip from her cup.

"During our research, I mentioned my history with her father. She seemed very curious and I don't blame her. Majority of the time when she was growing up, her father was in India teaching me the ways of the Assassin. But she does not know the reason why I came to London," Henry told her sadly, looking out of the window and watching the world rush past him.

The pair sat in silence, enjoying the presence of each other and the new bond that had formed between them.

"Enough of me. What is your story?" Henry asked, turning his attention back to Ruby.

Ruby laughed and stood up, wincing as pain shot through her back.

"That story is for another day. I'm heading to bed."

At the end of the cart, Evie Frye quickly made her way back to her cart, after overhearing Henry's story. She felt more guilty than ever after having been so rude and disrespectful to a man who she cared for, yet knew little of. Had she only known the reason why he hated working out in the field, she would have never suggested him to come along with her. Sitting down on the bed, the woman held her head between her hands and scolded herself for being so blind.

//X//

The next morning, Ruby woke up and groaned at the pain that she felt in her back. After taking one of Miss Nightingale's pills, she pulled out I.B from behind the bed. The little robot must have switched off during the night and forgot to place himself near the windowsill to recharge his battery. Ruby sighed as she placed him in the sunlight.

The events of the previous evening and I.B's information ran through her head again.

Henry Green and Evie Frye were her ancestors, which explained why she had the same sense as the assassins. The sense that allowed her to see things others could not. According to I.B and his information, Ruby was the last person in London, in her time, who possessed the skills of becoming an assassin. Both her parents were part of the Brotherhood, yet they, along with the rest of the Brotherhood, were wiped out.

As Ruby sat alone, pondering about her past, she began to realise something. The Templar badge and the reason why Boss could be in this time. Everything seemed to fall into place. Looking at I.B, she gave her command.

"Hey I.B, wake up. I need your help."

I.B slowly turned on and faced Ruby.

"Yes?"

"Did Boss ever tell you why he sent me in the past? The exact reason?"

"No he didn't. All he told me is that 'Ruby Mir is being sent into the past to fix the war'," the little robot informed her.

"I don't think that was the exact mission. Not to fix the war- but to make it worse."

"Are you sure?" I.B asked, shifting closer to the sunlight to continue charging.

"Think about it. I have no qualifications at all, except for some basic military training. Yet I was the one they sent here. FPO must have strong relations with the Templars, otherwise Boss wouldn't have been so friendly with Pearl," Ruby began, trying to argue her case.

"That would explain why Boss has so many Templar badges in his office," I.B added, recalling his master's working space.

"And the reason why he gave me one for my mission." Ruby thought back.

"Starrick is supposed to die this year as well. You said so yourself on the first day that we were here. The Frye twins must have successfully killed Starrick and obtained the shroud. Otherwise why would I be here? The FPO must need the shroud to gain power, and if I give the shroud to Starrick, they will be in possession of it in our time," Ruby explained, trying to piece her suspicions together.

"But why would Boss send you?" I.B asked, still unsure.

"If I'm really the last person with assassin blood left, sending me into the past to complete their work seems logical. That is what Boss meant with 'she will be her own downfall'. I will be destroying the assassins future."

I.B thought for a while.

"So what are your plans now?"

"I don't want to disappear after living with the twins, and I don't want the Templars to win this war. I say let's give Starrick and FPO some hell, and actually end Death's Breath," Ruby suggested, determined.

"I like the way you think."

A/N

Thank you for 500 views! I.B sends a little 'thank you' toot ;)