Chapter 17

"I really need to stop drinking so much," Ruby mumbled the next morning, as Evie woke her up.

"Do you even remember anything from last night?" Evie asked as she pulled back the curtains.

Ruby winced as the light shone onto her face.

"All I remember is Henry telling me about the mission. What happened?"

Evie cast her eyes down.

"It was my fault. I never should have suggested him to join me. Like father always said-"

"Don't let personal feelings compromise the mission. Yes, yes I know. That seems to be your motto recently," Ruby interrupted.

Evie fell quiet.

"You need to talk to him. He is completely distraught and blames himself for everything that happened last night. Ignoring him isn't going to improve your relationship, and besides, it is extremely childish," Ruby mentioned, throwing her satchel over her shoulder.

"I.B and I are meeting Jacob. Seems that he wants me to join a mission, according to I.B. I will see you later."

Ruby left her cart and Evie sat down on Ruby's bed, thinking.

//X//

Ruby walked along the streets of the Strand, looking for Jacob. He had given her an address that led to a theatre.

"Alhambra Music Hall. Any information on it, I.B?" Ruby asked, as she looked up at the big building.

"All it says in my database is that it burnt down twice. Once before this Roth bought it and once after he died," I.B informed her, after taking a minute to search his database.

"This theatre doesn't seem to have much luck. Let's see if Jacob is around here somewhere," Ruby suggested, walking around the theatre.

They found Jacob leaning against the wall, his hat tipped over his face. Ruby walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Ah, you're here. Let's go inside," Jacob noticed, as he looked up.

Jacob was just about to open the door, when they were thrown open and a man with a large, black moustache walked outside.

"Ah! I have something to show you, my dear. Who is this pretty lady you are accompanying?" he asked, stopping in front of Ruby.

"This is Ruby. She is my partner in crime," Jacob introduced her.

"Ah, a fellow troublemaker! Come along now, we must hurry!" Roth exclaimed, pushing both Ruby and Jacob towards a carriage.

"Woah, ok!" Ruby mumbled, looking at Jacob confused.

Jacob took the reins and off they were, racing towards wherever Roth was leading them. Ruby sat inside, overhearing little bits of the conversation that was happening outside. She caught the words 'Starrick' and 'workshop'. It didn't take her long to figure out that they were going to destroy a workshop that built weapons for Starrick and his men.

The carriage stopped and Jacob helped Ruby out. Roth led them onto a roof, where they could observe the workshop. Countless of Blighters surrounded the workshop and it seemed nearly impossible to break in.

"Let's set some dynamite around it and blow it up!" Starrick ordered excitedly, rubbing his hands together.

Ruby looked at Jacob, uncertain of the situation. He shrugged his shoulders and jumped off the building. After Ruby had joined him by climbing down, he ordered her to rig two corners of the building. This was no easy task, as the Blighters kept on patrolling the area in groups of four.

"This is impossible!" Ruby whispered, getting increasingly annoyed by the second as she watched from behind a corner.

She waited until a group of Blighters had walked past her hiding spot before rigging one side of the building. She ran to the other side and repeated the process, returning to the roof where Roth and Jacob were waiting for her.

"Took your time, sweetheart," Roth noticed, as she climbed onto the roof.

"Don't call me sweetheart," Ruby coldly snapped, balling her hands into fists.

"A feisty one!" Roth remarked, grinning wickedly.

"All done!" Jacob exclaimed, observing the area.

"Perfect. Let's put our plan into actions," Roth informed them.

Ruby stood back and turned her attention to the building. She saw several small children entering the workshop. Her heart dropped and she was just about to shout out, when she heard Jacob.

"Wait!"

"Whatever for?" Roth asked, turning to Jacob.

"There are children in there!"

"My dear, Starrick uses children to manufacture his goods. We must put an end to this!"

"Screw you!" Ruby burst out, angry.

Jacob and Roth turned to her.

"You would injure children to accomplish your plans? What kind of sick person are you?"

"I agree with Ruby. Not like this, Roth," Jacob agreed.

"Why not? I can do whatever I damn please! Light them up, boys!" Roth shouted to his henchmen below.

Ruby glanced at Jacob, who nodded. The pair jumped off the roof, running towards the workshop which was now engulfed in flames.

"We are done playing games, Roth!" Jacob shouted behind him, glaring at the man.

Ruby rushed inside, trying to gather the children that could walk. She helped them outside, while Jacob kept on running in and out of the workshop, carrying the children that had fainted or were injured. Once the last child was outside, Ruby doubled over and tried to catch her breath.

"That jerk! I will kill him!" she mumbled angrily.

She straightened up as a bald man walked towards them, carrying a box. He handed the box to Jacob, who looked at it confused.

"A gift, sir, from Mr. Roth."

The man turned, walking away again. Just as he was about to turn the corner, he turned back around.

"You should know that when Roth is angry with one, he brings suffering to many," he said, before disappearing into the shadows.

Ruby walked over to Jacob, one eyebrow raised in confusion.

"Who was that and what is in the box?"

Jacob opened the box and a stench filled the air around them. Ruby held her nose as she looked inside the box.

A dead raven lay inside, along with a note.

Jacob read the note, his expression darkening with each sentence that he read.

"Well, it seems like we are invited to a performance," Jacob informed Ruby, handing her the note.

Ruby quickly read over it.

"Let's give him a performance that's to die for," she darkly said.

Jacob nodded and the pair walked towards the Alhambra Music Hall, murder in their intentions.