Chapter 3

Authors Note: Just a reminder all Italicized stuff is her thoughts that aren't spoken.

Warning this chapter does have some graphic stuff in it, so if you are queezy with blood and don't like hearing about people getting hurt. skip the part where she has a big monolog. Please use your own discretion.

It was now the end of January and I had spent the better part of the last week and a half hanging out with Jake and the guys. We had mostly hung out at Emily's seeing as there was snow still on the ground and it was to cold to go to the beach. I had occasionally been able to hang out with Jake alone, but they were very short times. We had all been getting to know each other better after being separated for so long. Today we were just hanging out watching Seth and Paul play on the xbox. I had noticed Jake wasn't there, so bored of watching the guys I offered to help Emily make lunch. "Thanks sweetie, but I'm just about done."

After lunch Jake and Quil finally got here. I was happy that Jake was finally here, but I tried to play it cool. "Hey Nikki. Hanging with these guys again." Quil asked. "Well, to see the creatures The Bald Bigfoot in this area. It's interesting to observe them in all environments." I said keeping a straight face. "HEY. We are not bigfoot." Brady said throwing a pillow at me. I easily dodged it laughing. Jake was laughing as well. God he's got an awesome laugh. We all hung out for the rest of the afternoon and I kicked most of the guys ass' in Halo.

After supper I decided that since I had walked here today I should probably get going before it got to dark. Jake had said that he needed to head home to and suggested we walk together seeing as my place was on the way to his house. So I agreed happily glad to have company and that it was him. We had been walking for a few minutes in silence. It wasn't a awkward silence, it was comfortable. But the silence made me start remembering why I hated being home alone, it gave me time to think about my family and about how they died. "What's on your mind?" Jake asked looking concerned. "Nothing, just enjoying the cool air." I said trying to look convincing. He stopped walking and turned to me. "Nikki, I've noticed that look on your face before." I tried to get a word in, but he just kept talking. "You don't need to constantly have your guard up, to act all tough around us. You can talk to me. I know what it's like to lose someone. I will listen, you can talk or get angry or cry. Whatever you need to do." He looked at me and with it starting to get dark out I couldn't see his eyes, but I knew that he was looking at me with concern. I sighed. "No one would be able to understand." I said. "It's better to get it out than to bottle it up though." I saw a log laying alongside the path and went and sat down on it. He sat down beside me, close enough that our shoulders were touching. I looked at the ground. "I remember everything about the accident. I remember that Dad was driving, mom was in the front beside him, Eathan was behind dad, and Kerri was beside me sitting in the middle. I remember that it was a black Chevy that hit us on the drivers side of the car. I remember rolling down the embankment and coming to a stop at the bottom. I remember feeling something warm dripping on my face as the car sat there on the passenger side. I remember how quiet it was, no one was crying or screaming and I couldn't hear Kerri breathing. Then everything went black. I had thought it had all been a bad dream but when I woke up and saw where I was. I thought maybe they had just been unconscious. But according to the accident report they had all died on the scene. I couldn't even figure out what exact emotion I was feeling; anger, sadness, guilt. I was angry at the drunk driver who hit us, I was beyond sad that my family was dead, and I was feeling guilty because I had survived and they had all died. I didn't even do anything to help them before I passed out. After getting out of the hospital I saw the drunk driver who hit us. That fucking asshole barely had a scratch on him." By this point I was crying. "It should have been me that had died, not them. Eathan and Kerri were only 14 and mom and dad were so happy just moments before. I should have died, it should have been me." Jake putting his arm around me just sat there and let me talk and cry. I have no idea how long we sat there, but I must have fallen asleep, cause I woke up in my bed with no idea how I got there.

The next day I went over to Jakes and heard music playing in the shop. After knocking on the door I heard the music stop and tools being put down. The door opened and there stood Jake grease on his hands and some on his face. "Hey." He said wiping his hands on a rag. "Hey. Do you mind if I come in?" With that he moved aside to let me enter. It was a small shop, big enough for a car and a bike. A couple work benches with tools neatly placed in their tool boxes. He was working on his bike at the moment from the looks of it. "Jake, I wanted to apologize for me losing it like that last night and falling asleep on you. Its not like me to cry like that, especially in front of people." He turned to me. And looking me straight in the eyes said. "Don't ever apologize for having feelings. Everyone needs to cry at times, and you have a very good reason to. And as for the falling asleep part, it was fine. But I couldn't very well leave you there in the cold, so I carried you home." He turned away to put a tool away. "You carried me all the way to my house?" He smiled. "What, you think that I can't carry you a mile or so?" I laughed. "I'm not exactly 80 lbs. So it didn't bother you having a girl crying on your shoulder and getting makeup all over your hoodie? " He looked at me and shook his head. "Nope, makeup washes off, and your not that heavy." His face changed. "The only thing that bothered me last night, was the fact that you thought that you should have been the one to die instead of them. According to what you described last night, you were the one with the best chance of surviving. And with your being used to taking a hit in boxing and wrestling, you could probably take more than them." He sighed. "Look, I don't want to sound like an ass and say anything to hurt your feelings, I really do wish that your family had survived or better yet that the accident never happened. But one thing that came out of it that I'm happy about is that you got to move back here, and see your friends." He was right, I probably wouldn't have moved back for a few more years if the accident hadn't happened. After that we changed the subject. 

Authors Note: Hey so yeah this one was a little longer and a lot of talking. So if you like my story so far I would love to hear what you guys think.

XOXO :D