Shifting tides -18-

Chapter dix-huit -shifting tides-

"Are you on the way yet?" I shifted my phone to my other ear, peering into the pot. The steam tickled the end of my nose. This looked nearly done. "The food is almost done and if you aren't here soon I will eat all of it without you." I heard him giggle on the other end, it was the cutest thing.

"There's no way you could eat all of whatever it is. Alice always makes too much." He said.

"You do have a point," I said as I gave the pot a lazy stir. "However, I made dinner tonight, she is not home. Neither is Noel."

"And your uncle? Is he gone?"

"Mhm. They are on a date. Are you almost here?"

"Getting out of the car now. See you in a second, Sebby." I snorted and hung up. Sebby, that was a new one. He had called me Seb a lot recently and jokingly called me baby cakes the other day. I was not quite sure how I felt about this nickname. A moment later he poked his head through the door. Today he was wearing a gray beanie with purple plaid and a small silver cross.

"Did you call me 'Sebby'?" I said as I strode over to him.

"When?" He said, tilting his head up to look at me. I wrapped an arm around his waist and pulled him a little bit closer. His lips pulled into a soft smile, and it made me want to kiss him, but I knew if I did that I would not remember what I was going to say.

"You said 'Sebby', just now on the phone," He made a puzzled face and laughed. "You did not already forget about it, did you?"

He shrugged. "More like I didn't remember to begin with. And if you don't like it," He said with a teasing smile. "I can make it better. Sebby-bear is sounding pretty good right now."

I scrunched my nose up but found myself laughing. "Don't call me that please," I bent down to give him a kiss. I was met by his cold fingers. I kissed those instead and he laughed.

"Didn't you say you had something on the stove? Sounds like it's bubbling over."

"Merde!" I spun around and quickly went over to the pot to slide it off the burner with an oven mitt. I grabbed a spoon and took a taste. "Hm."

"What's your consensus?" Cameron said behind me, I could hear him trying not to laugh.

"What?" I said bewildered. "Do you just flip through the dictionary looking for words I may or may not know?" I said pretending to be annoyed. He stuck his tongue out at me. I held up my spoon. "You wanna try this, finicky?"

He scrunched up his nose though he was smiling. "You know the word 'finicky' but not 'consensus'?" I shrugged and pushed the spoon towards him. I slid over so he could get some out of the pot. I watched him blow on the hot spoon before sipping the soup. He made a face of surprise. "This is really good,"

"Why do you look so surprised? Like you thought it would be bad." I said poking him in the side. He lightly yelped and slapped my hand away.

"What is your obsession with doing that?" He reached out to poke me back and I handcuffed his wrists with my hands. He laughed exasperatedly and said, "You're a dirty cheater," I told him life wasn't fair and that sparked a small debate which led to us kissing until I had to remind him that I had made dinner.

A few moments later we sat at the table sipping our soup and munching on bread. "What exactly is this?" Cameron asked between sips.

"Garbure. It has vegetables and meat sliced very thin. I let it cook a little too long because someone distracted me." His cheeks turned pink across the table. He muttered something quietly about me contributing to the problem and I winked at him, making his face deepen in color again. "I'll never get tired of that, you're so easy to make blush."