Floodgates -22-

Chapter vingt-deux: Floodgates:

The next day I ended up talking to Luke. It wasn't by way of my own decision, on my way out of the chemisty room when we crashed into each other. His chin smacked into my forehead which was very painful. After some curse words and confusion, we were walking in stride awkwardly. We decided to go out to eat to catch up but neither of us had said anything, we just sat at the table. It seemed like he was daring me to speak. Finally I said, "How...are you?"

I turned to look at him, he was all smiles and laughter, his eyes bright. "Pretty good. Things have been weird these last few weeks but I think I'm okay. I'm going out of town this weekend with Parker, What about you?" I choose not to comment on his plans with Parker, I had a pretty good idea of what they'd be up to.

"Um," I searched for a descriptor. "Could be better. Sorry I haven't been keeping up with you like I should have," I said honestly, feeling a twinge of guilt in my chest.

He shook his head. "It's fine. You chose Dannie, I understand." A touch of snark was weaved through his tone, I flinched at the sound.

"Luke, I promise it's not like that."

"Tell me what it's like then." He crossed his arms and it reminded me of Dannie. They were both so stubborn and got set in their ways about the worst things. "Both of you just packed it up and left." He sounded slightly pissed and I felt a headache pressing against my the backs of my eyes. He was missing so much of the story here.

"That's not what happened." I said tightly, and he looked suprised at my sharpness, and I was too. "Sorry," I said in a more even tone. "It's been rough. A few days ago we got in a car accident,"

"What?" Luke no longer looked agitated. Only concerned. "Is she okay?"

I felt a smile tug at the corners of my lips, "She's fine, thanks for asking about me." He rolled his eyes and took a long sip of his milkshake.

"Well you're sitting right in front of me....I haven't seen her in a while," He said gruffly.

"Mhm, well me and Sebastian are fine," Were we really? I added in my head.

He took a stab out if his chicken. "What have I missed in your life?"

I looked down at my hands. "I'm seeing someone."

Luke snorted. "Is she cute? I was thinking you weren't into girls or something for the longest time. I thought maybe you were into...vacuums or lamps. " He joked. I just took a sip of my lemonade and looked behind his shoulder at the kids  in the jungle gym. "Who is she?" He repeated.

"They're not a girl." I said evenly, pointing my gaze at his hand that was flat on the table. I didn't feel as nervous as I did last time, even as I watched his hand clutch the table. The veins formed a tense map on the back of his hand, and I found myself wondering if he'd hit me.

I tipped my head up to meet his eyes, and his blue eyes were full of shock. "I know that this is a lot to take in and it might be kind of weird but--" I stopped talking when I saw his face shift.

"How long have you been keeping this a secret?" I told him and he scoffed, an incredulous look painted over his face. "Really? You didn't think you could tell me?"

"Well you seem pissed now," I muttered.

He leaned over the table and flicked my forehead. "I'm only pissed because you kept it from me so long, idiot. I don't care where you're putting your dick!" He said the last part a little too loudly and several mothers shot him a dirty look.

I put a finger to my lips feeling my face flame. "Sorry," I said to the general audience. I turned back to Luke, who was stealing my fries. "Stop that...But I really am sorry I didn't tell you beforehand, I should have." He tried to keep making an angry face but it failed and he looked more like he was constipated, which made me giggle.