Mishaps and mistakes -20-

Chapter vingt -Mishaps and mistakes-

"What are we supposed to do?" I said clenching his arm. "What am I supposed to do?" I said in a hushed whisper. It was our lunch period but I had dragged him to the library to catch him up to speed on what happened the night before.

"First you need to calm down. You are going to be fine." He said seriously. His lips thinned and he paused. "Now. Do you know any girls who would be willing to cover for you?"

"Um...Shylah? Naomi maybe..." I struggled to think of more girls I could ask to be my faux girlfriend for the night. Or possibly longer. I hadn't thought about this fully--

"You in there?" He tapped my forehead. I nodded. "What about your friend Mia?"

"Well she-" I cut myself off when I saw Cindy weaving through the shelves and walking towards us. A noise between a choke and a squeak all I could force out as she came and stood beside me and Sebastian.

Sebastian and I looked up at her, waiting for her to say something. "Well if it isn't the school's two biggest homos." I felt my heart plummet into my stomach. She definitely had seen us that night forever ago.

"We aren't gay--" Sebastian tried but she held up her hand to stop him.

"Then what do you call two guys kissing?" When neither of us said anything she leaned her elbows on the table so she was level with us. She was close enough that I could see her feathering lipstick and her slightly crooked front tooth. "Don't think just because I haven't said anything, it means you're off the hook. I'm biding my time, but this is coming out one way or another," She said in a soft voice that sent a chill down my spine. "Everyone's going to know Cameron made Sebastian a fag." My eyes widened and I felt like I was going to throw up. My life was turning into a bad teenage flick with Cindy as the antagonist.

Sebastian spat out a long string of curse words in French at her, and she simply smiled. I watched her turn and leave, but as she did so something fell out of her back pocket. She bent down to pick it up but I'd already seen it.

It was a pink gameboy.

Sebastian was speaking in a low, annoyed tone of voice, but I was thinking about the ways I could get that from Cindy. I was almost certain it was Dannie's from the stickers and scratches. I needed to try to focus on what my boyfriend was saying. "...I don't really mind if she outs me, because I'll be gone eventually, but if she outs you..." He shook his head and closed his eyes for a moment.

"Well I--" I started, then I processed what he had said and it felt like I'd been punched in the gut. "What do you mean you'll be gone?" It came out quieter and more pathetic than I had intended.

He reached into my lap and grabbed my hand, twining our fingers together. He didn't look up from our hands as he said, "I have to go back at the end of the school year." He said softly.

I felt a sticky surge of panic as I realized what that meant. "If I get outed or I out myself, I'm going to have to deal with it for another school year. You know how everyone is," I could feel the anxiety weaving into my words. I was going to end up like Peter had. "Are you coming back next year?"

He bit his lip. "Most likely not. This was paid for by my school, I was lucky enough to already have family here. And besided that, I don't think my parents could take me being away again." I had a dozen questions, but they were stopped up in my throat. What does this mean for us? Do you still want to keep dating when you go back? Sebastian brought his eyes back up to mine and said, "Let us just focus on the present, okay?" I nodded.

"I'll call Mia today," I said and added. "Do you want me to come over after..if you want." I hastily added.

He let out a laugh that never failed to make me smile. I loved the way he laughed, his head tilted back, his eyes crinkled cutely. "Cameron, we are dating, of course I want you to come over, you can help me study," He rolled his eyes, "Noel is not a good teacher."