Chapter Thirty: Sick of The Universe

Chapter Thirty:

Sick of The Universe.

My heart drops. He put her brother in a wheelchair. What? I stare off into the woods not wanting to look at him. Not wanting him to see the shock on my face. I don't say anything because..  Well what do you say to that? Brandon hasn't looked at me once. This cannot be easy for him. So I reach over and put my hand on his leg. Still not being able to meet his eye. Brandon takes my hand in his squeezing it tight. He drops his head and I can hear him sniffling.

"I didn't mean to." Brandon whispers.

I pull his head into my chest and hug him tight. I can feel his tears soaking my shirt. We sit like that for a while. Brandon lying half on top of me while I run my fingers through his hair.

"It was an accident Lee." He says. Does he think I am judging him for this? I pull his head up so Brandon is looking me straight in the eye.

"Brandon. You haven't even told me what happened yet. I know you would never intentionally hurt someone. Just take a couple of deep breaths and talk to me." Brandon does as I say and sits back against the tree.

"Jake and I were best friends. We grew up together. We were always by each others side. He knew I was in love with Kacey before I did. She was only a year younger then us but Jake never wanted her around us. So she always hung out with Zoe. I would always try to spend as much time with her as I could. When we became teenagers Kacey and I would always hang out together. Jake was jealous but he could spot that it was because we both liked each other. I didn't know she liked me of course. Why would someone as great as her like me?

When I told Kacey about my first kiss she broke down in front of me. That's when she told me she loved me. That's when we started dating. I was fifteen. We were the typical jock and cheerleader couple. Jake and I played on the school football team. Jake played defence. There was this party, I got drunk and kissed another girl. I hated myself. The next day we had practice and Jake told me he told Kacey. He didn't even have the decency to let me tell her myself. I was so angry at him. We were running through a drill and Jake was supposed to tackle me. I saw the oppurtunity to get him back. I wasn't supposed to tackle him, I'm never supposed to tackle. But I was so mad. Jake ran towards me and at the last second I tackled him. Jake smacked against the ground. He went down at an awkward angle and we all heard the crack. He was paralysed.

I put Jake in a wheelchair. I couldn't deal with it. I locked myself away from everyone. I haven't seen either of them since. I didn't apologse to either of them. I hid from them. I moved away to my grandparents for a while but Jayden and Zoe couldn't handle it either. They were getting bullied in school. So then we moved here. A new start."

Brandon looks at me when he finishes. Searching my expression. Begging me to say something. No words come out though. I am stunned by what he tells me. The fact that he and Kacey were so in love. He cheated on her. I can't even fathom how he deals with putting his best friend in a wheelchair. I don't know how to react to any of this.

"Are you ok?" Is all I can say to him.

"No. I feel sick. I feel unbearable guilt. I can still hear the crack when Jake hit the ground. The screaming. The sirens. I wasn't there for him afterwards. Not that he would want me there. And Kacey." Brandon stops as he starts to cry again. "I can't believe I did all of this to her."

"Do you want to see her again? To talk about all of this?" I ask him.

"I thought I did. But seeing her stand there today. I felt like a monster. And seeing Jake.Sport was his life Lee. He played every sport he could. He always some sort of ball with him wherever he went." Brandon drifts back into his memories.

"He seemed lovely when I met him today. He was really funny." I don't know whether it will help the situation but I say it anyway.

"He was the best. You would have loved him. He always had a smile on his face. Always making jokes. He was the best friend anyone could have had." Brandon starts smiling.

"Brandon he's not dead. He is still Jake. He acted like that today when I met him. Maybe you should try to see him again. Jake and Kacey." I know not smart pushing him back into the arms of his one true love. But he needs this. If he needs it I am here for him.

"I wouldn't even know where to find them." Brandon says. That wasn't a no.

"We will find them." I say holding his hand again.

Brandon kisses the back of my hand in thanks. We stand up and make our way back to the house. Bradnon brings me into his house with him. His mother comes to meet us with a worried look on her face. Of course. We walk into the kitchen to see no other but Kacey waiting for Brandon. She smiles at the two of us until she sees that Brandon is holding my hand. I let go of him. Feeling like an outsider in this situation. Brandon looks at me confused but then turns back to Kacey.

"I've go to go." I say quickly before turning to leave. Running straight into Jayden.

"Leeann." He tries to talk to me but I push past him. "Wait." He shouts chasing after me.

I don't know why but I stop. Jayden catches up with me at the door seeming to be as surprised as I am that I stopped.

"I don't want to end up like Brandon. I want to apologise for my mistakes. I am so sorry Leeann. I can not express to you how sorry I am. I was an utter dick and I don't know where it came from. I don't expect you to forgive me straight away or even ever. I just want you to know that I am so sorry." He keeps going to reach for my arm like he would have done before all of this. He stops himself though knowing this isn't the time.

I open my mouth to say something when a voice stops me.

"Jay babe can you get me a drink to get this taste out of my mouth." Ashley walks out of the basement causing Jayden's face to turn the darkest shade of red I have ever seen.

I laugh right in Jayden's face. Ashley looks confused as to why I am laughing like an idiot right now. Jayden is dying inside right now. I turn around to see Brandon and Kacey walking down the hall. Wow this is the weirdest scenario ever. Jayden is standing with his new girl in front of me. Brandon is clearly bringing Kacey, the love of his life, up to his room. I stand there and turn back to Jayden.

"Go fuck yourself." After saying that I walk out slamming the door behind me.

I head straight for my own basement where I know I am bound to find one of my brothers. Walking in I see all of them, Charlie and Jessie. Sighing with relief I position myself in between Charlie and Jessie on the floor.

"Should we ask?" Quinn says looking around the room.

"Try it I dare you." I spit back at him. Everyone in the room goes quiet and turns back to watch whatever game they are playing.

I am so sick of the universe.