Chapter 12: Complications and an Unexpected Visitor

The drive home was quiet but comfortable. I kept stealing glances at Nathan and i can help but notice the sharp jawline, the easy way he looked so... Attractive. His hair fell down on his face almost covering his eyes giving him well a cute chibi look.

He must have noticed me staring because he asked "Have i got something on my face?"

I blushed and said no and he said "Hahaha dont worry. I used to stare at you too."

I blushed a deeper red and just got even shyer. He brushed a lock of my hair behind my ear. This tender gesture made my heart go "Ka-Bump". I leaned on to him and closed my eyes for a while. Feeling safe by his side in the passenger seat of this Mustang.

It was 3 in the afternoon when he woke me and told me we were already at my house.

As i got out of the car i just couldn help it but i said "Can i see you again tomorrow at school?" It was almost like im begging him.

He looked at me and said "Keep your eyes open." And winked. I closed the door and he sped off leaving me in total confusion. What did he mean? Keep your eyes open?

"Ughh" i groaned "Why does my life have to be so complicated.

As soon as i got in the house i knew my luck totally run out. As soon as my foot went inside the house i heard screaming and i thought "Oh shit" and ran like hell to the kitchen. The scene that awaited me there was nothing short of horrific. My father was standing before my mom holding a belt and continously hitting her. I screamed out a guttural sound almost to the point of being monstrous. i grabbed a frying pan and hit my father. Not caring where the blows hit. I caught a whiff of alcohol in his breath as i was hitting him. I hit him until he was at the door and gave him one last blow to the face and screamed "Get the fuck out here you bastard and dont ever come back!" He left and i slammed the door and i went to my mother... And there we just held each other and cried.

Dinner was a silent affair. I told my mother i could handle the dishes and i sent her to room because i knew she needed it. As i did the dishes i tried to forget what happened recently by remembering what happened earlier on the day when Nathan showed me our little paradise and poured his heart out to me. The way he held me close making me feel safe. Oh how i miss him. So as soon as i finished i thought to myself "wouldnt it be nice to see Nathan one last time before i sleep." I smiled and went up to my room blushing because of my own wishful thinking. As i went to my room i went to the bathroom and changed to pajamas. The soft fabric caressing my skin. Comforting me. As i went to bed i opened my phone and played Migraine by Twenty Pilots. I was close enough to sleep when i heard a stone hit my window. I didnt bother since it might be a tree hitting my window but i heard it again it sounded like a stone so i turned off my phone and i went to investigate. And to my great surprise. Nathan was looking up at me like a moonlit Romeo.

"Hi" he said "I thought you might need some company after what happened."

I looked at him in shock and asked "How did you know?"

He just smiled and asked "Can i go in?" "How in the world can you get in?" I asked skeptically.

He just smiled and said "I take that as a yes. Just Move out of the window when i tell you okay?"

I nod and the. He started to climb the tree and soon enough i moved out of the way so he can get in. The first thing he did was wrap his arms around me and i just melted into him. Inhaling his scent which comprises of a rosy an soapy aroma. He just held me letting me cry and well mostly release my emotions into his chest. His arms were calm and soothing as he stroked my hair as he told me everything will be alright. He carefully lifted me up an cradled me like a child. He carried ne to my bed and tucked me in. Then he took of his shoes and lay beside me. He looked into my eyes and said " I'll always be here for you Mary. Always." I moved closer to him feeling the warmth of his chest making my heart slow and calm. I asked "How did you know about what happened?" He looked at me with an amusement but his tired eyes show that he was troubled

"You should pay more attention Mary." He said "I live just across the street. I live there alone. My family is somewhere much more posh." I drove away so you wont know, i wanted it to be a surprise for tomorrow. But seeing the situation your in i couldnt help but feel that i needed to see you. I dont think you're a damsel in distress but rather a friend more like a little sister actually. I feel like i need... No i want to protect you to make you feel safe and happy. So as soon as i saw your father leave with a very bloody fave i knew something bad had happened so here i am now."

"Nathan what did i do to deserve you?" I asked my voice breaking.

He hugged me tighter and said "You deserve every right to be happy. I'll also help your mother but mainly I'll focus on you."

I just melted right then and there i told him what i saw and what i did. He was just silent and understanding so there i was crying my eyes out to a boy whom i just knew for a few days. Whom i trust with my whole heart.

After i told my story i yawned and snuggled closer to him.

He said "I could sing you to sleep."

I was so tired from crying that i just said "Mmkay".

He chuckled and started to sing softly. His voice was a cool summer breeze. It was beautiful for a guy. It was rich and just well rhythmic. It was a song of a girl wishing on a northern star. His baritone voice calmed me and my eyes started to close. As my eyes closed Nathan said something but i didnt hear. Sleep already has its arms around me pulling me into its calm and comforting embrace.