Chapter 18: Falling

I walked to school in a sort of daze still thinking about the dream. I knew the hooded figures were the struggles and the assholes in my life. But what was the white light i saw. I just shrugged and told myself it's just a dream. As i reached the school grounds i felt someone hug me from behind. I was so surprised i jumped and broke free from the person's embrace. It was Nathan. He was out of breath and slightly sweaty. He looked like he ran after me.

After a moment's hesitation i quickly melted into his arms. "Nathan i missed you." I said softly. I mean i know it was only one night that we we're apart but it felt like ages. It was as if i lost a part of me.

"I know. I missed you too." He said. We just stood there in each other's embrace. When we broke off. We headed to class both of us feeling much better. Classes were tje usual people all around me dying of the severe affliction of boredom. But in the next period which was science Nathan suddenly sat up and actually looked interested in what the professor was saying. It was still about the prosthetic limbs and organs.

In the middle of the class Nathan asked "Sir how long does a mechanical organ last? For example  a heart."

"Well my boy, theoretically it's supposed to last until the user dies. Assuming the subject is a fit person with little or no vices. But those kind of hearts are the best and very very expensive." Nathan just nodded looking satisfied and resumed his fake sleeping position. I was completely perplexed. Why would he take such an interest in machine hearts? Is he sick? I promised myself that i would ask him. Up until lunch it was the same. The same boredom that wraps itself arpund everyone except me. As soon as the lunch bell rang i dragged Nathan outside the room and asked "Why are you so interested in machine hearts? Why? Are you sick?" I said this so fast i sounded delirious.

He just shook his head gently and said "No. Im not sick. I'm just interested in the mechanics of it. Also it might be a good product to sell." I sighed relieved.

He laughed and said "Hey don't worry it's nothing serious ok? Come on let's eat." He took my hand and together we headed to the cafeteria to have lunch. We ordered our food and headed to our friends. I sat beside Ara and just chatted with her. Nothing serious nothing akward. After lunch we walked our separate ways and when we were in the hallway i just realized something. "Isn't it funny? You're courting me but we don't have each other's number." I said smiling.

Nathan just shrugged and said "No point really since we're together all the time." He smiled at me and kissed me on the forehead "Come on clever girl. We're going to be late for class."

"Well that was boring." Nathan said as he stretched outside. It was already the end of the day and we were walking home since he ran after me earlier in the day. As we walked it got considerably cold and i leaned closer to him. He wrapped his arm around me and suddenly he said "Look." At first i dont know what he was looking at. Then I noticed. Snow. Snow was falling. It was surreal. The way we were alone in the street just under a big oak tree and snow started to fall.

"A bit early don't ypu think?" I said.

"Nah. It's the past the middle of September already. Come on let's go. Don't want to catch hypothermia." He said. We huddled closer and enjoyed the scenery.

We reached home and well we both said goodbye and i went inside to go grab a hot shower.

When i was finished my mom asked "Well? Is Nathan staying tonight?"

I just shook my head and smiled. My mom saw it and nodded approvingly.

"What's for dinner mom?" I asked. "Nothing. We're ordering pizza." She said laughing. And i just smiled and nodded and we both watched tv for awhile and when the pizza came we ate on the sofa while watching Supernatural. Soon the night fell and i excused myself and i went outside and went to our backyard. It was already white with snow. A full moon was shining above and the stars were bright. It was a beautiful night. I just stood there by the door alone with my thoughts... Thoughts about Nathan. His weird episode with the mechanical hearts. And mostly being excited that I'll be seeing him tonight. And what am i really feeling about him. I just stood there like a statue until i heard a voice. "Hey." I jumped and looked behind me. It was Nathan smiling.

I smiled and smacked his arm playfully and said "Stop surprising me like that."

He laughed and said "I was calling your name a few times already so i just went even closer and said hey." I tolled my eyes at him and he said "Come on it's cold time to get you to bed." After standing there dor so long my knees actually gave out and i started to fall but Nathan caught me. He sighed and carried me upstairs to my room. He laid me down gently and then he laid beside me. The moon was shining through my window and Nathan looked to good to be true. His face was a pearly white. Contrasting his dark hair. His jawline was a great help to his features and his eyes looked like the sky. The moon perfetly reflected in his dark eyes.

"You're staring." Nathan said suddenly. I blushed a bright red and he laughed softly while he touched my face "You're beautiful." He said softly.

"No I'm not." I protested. "I'm just another girl. I just have violet eyes."

He smiled and said "You're beautiful to me. You're beautiful to me today, tomorrow, the day after that, up until i cease to see you."

I kissed him and said "You're so poetic sometimes."

"Once a nerd always a nerd." He replied.

After a few moments i just said "Nathan. How about i sing you to sleep tonight?"

He looked at me and said "Are you sure?"

I smiled and said "Come here." I snuggled closer to his chest and i felt his arms wrap around me. Then i started to sing A Heart Like Yours by Willamette Stone. Softly at first as if unsure. But when i felt Nathan's breathing slow i got more confident and just sang everything i felt for him.

Sleep sound sleep tight
Here in my mind
Here in my mind
Waitin

Come close my dear
You dont have to fear
waitin

I'll see you soon
I'll see you soon

How could a heart like yours
Ever love a heart like mine
How could i live before
How could i have been so blind

You opened up my eyes

As i finished i heard Nathan mumble "I love you Mary. Always a bit more than yesterday."

I sighed and said "Wait for me Nathan. Just wait a bit more." He pulled me closer to him and as sleep started to wash over me my last thought was "Nathan please catch me. Im falling. Im falling in love with you."