Chapter 28: The Wedding

"Hurry!" My mother said. I was already in my wedding gown and the make up was already on. The only thing that wasnt there was my veil. We were in the house that Nathan built. Well soon to be our house. It was in the one place i an truly call home. Our paradise.

"Where the hell is that thing?" My mother fumed as she searched every corner of my room.

"Maybe it's downstairs."

"Aha! Found it." The viel was hiding cleverly in the middle of my pillows. My mother smoothed it and placed it on me. White started to ran through her thick black hair. But she still looks young. I looked myself in the morror for the last time. My gown was a pinkish white. It's just a simple gown a v neck without sleeves. I looked one of the bride maids but i insisted on this. My beat up sneakers peaked out underneath the silk. Make up was minimal. The last months of preparing, rehearsing, tasting, choosing, hours of trying dresses and the hordes of invitations to write all boiled down to this. The moment where Nathan and i will truly be one.

"Are you ready Sweetheart?" My mother asked with tears in her eyes.

"Maybe. Maybe not." I replied.

"That's my girl." We embrace and she led me downstairs.

The aisle led to the gazebo that Nathan built. The place where we enjoyed a few hours being a couple. Snow was falling. The trees were white. But the air was warm. Heaters were strategically placed to where they can't be seen but can can be felt. The veil blocked muddled my sight but i felt my mother's arm guiding me. Giving me strength. I saw a familiar figure standing with a priest  in the gazebo. Nathan. He was wearing only a tux over a plain white vneck. Flowers decorated the carpet i was walking on. Every step i took i memories flooded back into my mind. The first time we met, the way i cried on his shoulder, the time when he told me his story. I still couldn't believe that i reached so far in this life. I knew I couldn't and wouldn't be alive without having met Nathan. I spotted our old friends in the front Ara was my best girl woman or whatever you call that and Meinand was Nathan's best man. As i reached the steps of the gazebo my mother's arms left me and gave me an encouraging embrace. Then i stepped up to meet my soonto be husband.

"Hey." He greeted me.

"Hey. So Nathan o all the things you could have sai to greet me you said hey?" That comment earned a few laughs from the guests. I heard Embi shout "That's my girl!" I shook my head slightly and the priest smiled at us and Nathan took of the veil. His eyes were still the same dark pools of brown that i fell for. His smile was even more crooked as the years passed but he never lost that aura. The aura of childish manner. The years may have hardened him but to mehe was still the playful boy i fell in love with.

"Dear friends, brothers and sisters, we are all gathered here today to witness the union of two souls in holy matrimony. Do you Nathan De Torres take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife. In good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, till death do you part."

"If there is a life after death. I will still love him. Yes Father. I do."

Nathan's eyes sparkled with tears and i felt mine grow wet and my vision blurred.

"And do you Mary Mendoza take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband. In good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, till death do you part."

"Yes Father. I do."

"I now pronounce you husband and wife." The priest said smiling at us. He turned to Nathan and winked at him. "You may kiss the bride."

I smirked at Nathan and smiled as my lips met his. The crowd applauded and cheered and the reception began. The tables were behind the rows of chairs along the aisle. Me and Nathan headed for our own table and our friends were in beside ours.