Chapter 14: Confessions and a Song

"No way. What happened to the Mustang?"

I asked Nathan mockingly as we walked towards a very very old Ford truck.

"Have some respect Mary"Nathan said laughing "It helps me disguise that im just a normal student rather than a heir to a company."

"You do have a point. Very smart." I said.

"Come on let's go home." He said. He opened the door for me and he climped into the driver's seat and started the engine. And thenwe were off to home.

So after a few minutes we arrived home. Nathan parked the car at his house which is literally across mine.

"Well this is goodbye." He said

"You know. I dont really like goodbyes its much too permanent. Lets just stick with I'll see you later." I said. To my surprise he put his hand on my cheeck and slightly leaned to me. We were so close i felt his warmth. Then i felt his lips on my forehead. It was a sweet simple gesture and it was over in a flash. But that diesnt mean that it didnt send my brain and my heart to chaos.

"Nathan... Why are you so sweet?" I mumbled dazedly." He just left the car and opened my door and helpe me down.

Then he said as he walked me towards my house "Maybe i like you." And then he left leaving me dazed and confused and happy and blushing and everything else in between.

I went inside the house and found my mom drinking a glass of wine.

"Mom... Why are you drinking?" I asked worriedly.

"Mary don't worry im not sad. Maybe just a bit but it's bittersweet. Your father and i got divorced today. So im drinking to celebrate and well be sad a bit." Since i am the one with a job its not really a loss." She said slowly weighing her words.

I reached to her an we hugged i said "Mom... At least we're happy and together."

"Thats what I'm happy about. You're the one thing that's important to me. I love you Mary."

"I love you too Mom." With that i knew that everything will ne alright for awhile.

At dinner it was fun. It much was easier to talk with my mon when dad was gone. All the tension seemed to evaporate and just disappeared. We talked about me mostly how i was doing and if im feeling better. I told her it was great and Nathan was a big help. And i probably wont need theraphy anymore since he would be my friend. My mom noticed something.

"Mary... Do you like him?" I dropped my spoon and gaped at her  and i just stared at her with my cheeks flaming. "Ahhhh your undecided. But he likes you. And probably has been sweet to you. Maybe a little too sweet." My mom said smiling.

"Mom were you spying on me? Or are you a Jedi?" I asked suspiciously.

My mom just laughed and said "No i wasnt. I was 16 before you know thats why i know. Trust me when i tell you. That boy is a keeper. And i approve of him. His nice and a complete gentleman. And he seems to be attracted to you. And well i saw the way you were around him. I mean i saw you in the window when you got home today. He was careful with you. He looked ready to do anything for you so yes i do approve of him. But how about you Mary? Do you like him?"

"Mom.... Yes i do. Maybe i bit more than a sinple friend. He's just so nice and all and i trust him and he trusts me. Somehow i couldnt imagine myself without him." I said.

"Hmmmm my advice... Talk to him Mary. Real talk have a real confrontation about your feelings. It helps. Hey its worth it. Besides i knew he said something to you. What was it?" My mom said.

"Well he said maybe he liked me. After...." I stopped unsure of wht to say.

"Yesss?" My mom asked.

"After he kissed me on the forehead." I said quickly. "Ha-ha yes. That boy knows his style. Great move."

My mom laughed but not in a joking way. She seemed happy for me.

"you're not angry Mom?" I asked tentatively.

"Nah like i said i approve of Nathan. Just talk to him. Take your time. Just dont take too long. Guys like him are hard to come by." She winked at me and smiled. I smiled to knowing what i had to do.

We finished up dinner and i cleaned the plates. Soon enough i finished and i headed to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and took a quick shower and changed to my pajamas. I headed to my very warm very soft very big bed. As i lay there i remembered Nathan singing me to sleep. And i felt my heart tighten. Then i realized i missed him.  I wanted him to be here singing me to sleep. I sighed and closed my eyes. It seemed like a few minutes when i heard a noise like someone knocking on my window. I rose up and opened the window. I was only half surprised to see Nathan perched on a branch grinning.

"Did you miss me?" He asked.

"It seems like the mere thought of you makes you appear by my side." I said as he went into my room.

"Ahh so you were thinking about me?" He said with a a flirtatious voice.

"Well.... I was thinking about you. And to be honest I'm always thinking about youe these days." I said blushing.

"You are?" He asked surprised. I just nodded and sat on my bed.

"Well Mary... I'll be honest with you." He gulped and by the dim light of the moon i saw his cheeks turn red. "I really like you Mary. I mean i think.... No i know I'm falling in love with you. I know its crazy even though we knew each other for a few days. We helped each other and i guess what made me fall in love with you was everything about you. Your passion and dreams. Your ability to stay strong and keep on smiling. Your imperfections make you seem more real. Not just a beautiful violet eyed goddess. I love you Mary. And I'll wait for you to love me too." He said softly.

"Nathan... I also like you... But im just not ready yet. I hope you understand. I still don't want to ruin what we have now. I mean I'm happy to know you feel that way about me but i guess not yet. Im not yet ready. Soon perhaps. Maybe later. But i want you to know that if You wait for me know that somewhere along the way i will be ready to fall in love with you." As i said this i sood up and went to him and looked him in the eyes.

Nathan smiled. A smile that showed that he had more than he had ever wished for "Mary...." He was about to say something but i cut him off. By pressing my lips softly but surely against his. It was our first proper kiss. The first that took my breath away and make me want more. His hands expertly went to my hair then to my face holding me there. Meanwhile i just looped my arms round his neck holding him close to me as i enjoyed the moment. When we stopped we put our heads together and i said "Just wait for me okay?"

"Always." Nathan replied.

As the climbed to its highest peak we were laying in my bed with our fingers interlocked. We just lay there until i yawned and asked "Nathan can you sing me the song?" "Which one?" He asked. "The one you sang to me last time." He smiled and started to sing.

"Have you ever stayed up late
To see a wishing star
Letting the light brighten up those perfect eyes brimming with tears

You're one of  a kind girl
The girl stuck between worlds
The girl with her head in the clouds
Wont you come down to see me

I know you're dying inside covering it up with a smile.
Feeling afrai to show your strang and beautiful colors.

You're the girl who wishes on the northern star
The one who asks to take her nightmares away
I hear your pleas everynight by my window pane
My little wishing girl dont worry I'll be here
Dont worry ill keep you safe
Dont worry i wont leave you
Dont worry my little wishing girl."

As Nathan sang i curled up to his chest and cant help but think "Damn. This guy is the one." I smiled to myself. As Nathan finished he said "I love you Mary." While kissing the top of my head. All i said was "I know." And that was enough for both of us.

At least for the time being.