Chapter 20: Torture of Waiting

"Mary?" Nathan asked as we both lay on my bed. "Do i really have a chance on you? I just have to ask i mean yeah sure we kiss but i really just want to know."

"Nathan. The fact is i really really like you. I think sometimes i am in love with you. To answer your question, yes you do have a chance. It doesnt even seem fair to call it a chance since it's much more likely that.... Maybe someday I'll be yours." I said softly facing him.

"Mary. Do you really mean it that you love me?" His voice cracked.

"Yes Nathan. I dont really know up till now what i did to deserve someone like you. You have been a brother a best friend a lover and anything i could possibly ever need or want. You could have any girl in the world and yet you chose me. I cant thank you enough for that. I love you Nathan i truly do. It's just... Im not ready yend im afraid that i might hurt you. It has been months that i wished to say this all to you. I hope you understand." I said moving closer to him and pitting my head against his chest.

He wrapped his arms around me and sighed "Mary... I understand completely i really do. I mean you cant be seriously thinking i am ready. Im just the same as you are gathering the strength for the day you decide that I'll be the guy who'll make you smile and laugh for the rest of our lives."

"You're annoyingly ideal do you know that?" I said.

He chuckled and replied "It's one if my best endearing qualities."

"seriously though Nathan. You're everything a girl could ask for." I said.

He frowned and replied "Well most girls dont know what i did. What i was and maybe what i still am. A psychopath."

I giggled and said "You're not a psychopath. But you're no hero too. You're just human bent on giving everyone what they deserve." He looked at me and smiled.

"Maybe. So what are you going to wear for the winter formal."

"Nathan. You should know better than to ask that you'll spoil the surprise!" I said in a mocking tone. He just shook his head and gave me a goodnight kiss and sang me to sleep.

For the next nine days the whole school even the teachers are excited. My classmates were discussing plans in between classes and during lunch our private group of friends were simply gaga over the formal.

"Dude we should totally wear tux." Meinand said.

"Bro i dont wear tux. I'll just wear a simple longsleeves the polo one." Nathan said.

"Nathan wear a tux. Dont be a sissy. What would Mary think." Embi said. He just rolled his eyes and said he'll think about it.

I just blushed and said "Well i for one will be wearing a dress so i expect that my courter will be wearing something formal."

The whole table laughed and I leaned closer to Nathan and whispered to him. "I'll be wearing my old All Star shoes underneath. He grinned at me and smiled mischievously.

"Hey are we allowed to bring friends from other schools?" Asked Hazel.

"Dunno." Answered Karylle.

"Maybe not." Said Nathan.

"Damn. I hoped to invite your little sis Jhai, Nathan." She said.

"Shame that really." He replied.

"Who's jhai?" I asked.

"I call her my little sister but she is actually older and not related to me." Nathan said. I just shrugged and leaned closer to him nervous for tomorrow night.