Chapter 25: Christmas Eve

It took a few more days before we got out of the ICU. Almost immediately Nathan asked if we could be in the same room. Of course his request was denied. But that didnt stop him from sneaking into my room every night for 3 days. He kept on sneaking in until they were forced to let him stay. Possibly because i sleep sounder with him near. It was December 24, Christmas eve when we got out of the hospital. We just got out when Nathan suddenly just blurted out the thing that might send my weak heart into overdrive and possibly kill me.

"Can Mary stay with me for Christmas Ms. Mendoza? I mean at my parents' house."

"Of course why not." My mom smiled at him.

Ever since Nathan talked to my mother at the hospital she became warmer and more appreciative of Nathan. I assumed that he paid for the bill. Being the rich gentleman that he is.

"Wait... Mom but you'll spend Christmas on your own." I said

"Your mom is welcome to tag along he said."

"Ahh don't worry about me Mary. Thank you Nathan but i have to decline. Besides i think that you have done way too much for is already." She smiled.

"Well that's settled then. Come on guys I'll drive you home." He said.

The mustang has two doors yes that is true. But there is a backseat. My mom squeezed in and then me and Nathan entered.

"Nathan what did you mean when you said the police chased you?" I asked as we drove in akwar silence.

"They chased me. Literally. Like something you see out of a movie. I drove way beyond the speed limit, didn't stop at red lights, and overtook about 20-30 cars. Need for speed stuff." He said shrugging. "I didn't stop until i reached the hospital. By that you were already unconscious and possibly a few more minutes away from dying. The police got out and saw me carrying you inside. They didn't bother to try and arrest me but they did help at getting help. I almost died too due to blood loss when i ripped a piece of shrapnel out so i can sit."

I just looked at him with awe. He said this as if it was jut another day when in fact he just saved my life, while endangering his own.

"Here we are. I'll wait in the car as you pack your stuff. We'll be staying at my house for a week." He said.

I just nodded and got out into the cold and my mom followed. We went inside our house. It was like a freezer since it was abandoned for almost a week. My mom turned onthe heater and we went to our room where i was surprised to see my gown still intact.

"How?" I asked.

"Well it's not actually the original one. Nathan gave me money and told me to buy it. I don't know why but he just said it. So i suppose you should bring that."

"Are you sure you're going to be alright alone?" I asked worriedly.

She laughed and said "Don't worry about me sweetheart. Where do you think you're toughness came from. Besides you need a vacation after what you've been through."

I just hugged her and she hugged me back.

"Well we don't want to keep Nathan waiting. Come on let's pack." She said smiling.

It took a few minutes to pack a week's worth of clothes including the gown. We went downstairs and out the door where i found Nathan leaning against the car wearing a leather jacket that just emphasized his figure. He carried my bag, yes i said bag, to the trunk. He smiled at me and i just blushed and kissed him lightly. Again yes i kissed him in front of my mother. We just smiled at her and as we went the doors of the car my mom said.