Myth

"Are you more of a cat or dog person?" Ginger asked, finally joining in on the conversation for once.

Jynx and I looked at each other, staring deep into each others eyes. She would beam her teeth at me, and I'd giggle gleefully in response. Her hand would slowly clasp mine under the table while I was trying to chat with someone else at the table. To get back at her, I'd squeeze the inside of her thigh.

When neither of us responded, Ginger gave us sideways glances and decided to ask the others at the table.

Elaine stared at us, also giving nasty looks, and responded, "I'm a lesbian. Of course I'm a cat person."

Carlos snickered, "Way to fight the stereotypes."

"You know damn well I'm a proud stereotype," she laughed in return.

However, when things flipped silent, eyes were on Jynx and me again. A few people just continued eating their lunches, but Elaine grew furious.

"What the hell, Jynx? I know that behavior, and it's 'fucking behavior'! You two fucked, and that's just not fair."

We both looked over at her, and I no longer felt scared of her. Sure, the black clothes and overabundance of eyeliner and bracelets were still throwing me off, but it wasn't like I wanted to be her friend. I tolerated her, and that was enough for Jynx.

Jynx said, "It's none of your business."

"None of my business?" Elaine scoffed, hitting her fist against the table. "It's all of our business. You two won't top giving each other googly eyes, and it makes me uncomfortable because I know what it means. Keep your personal life out of my face, okay?"

We both kept silent, trying not to look at each other to make anyone uncomfortable.

"I'm more of an in-between person. Cats and dogs are both beautiful animals," I replied to Ginger's original question, trying to spark the conversation again.

The whole table laughed at my response (except for Elaine, obviously. What a bitch.), and I just looked around with a dumbfounded expression. Jynx even nudged me, nearly knocking me out of my seat. The whole situation was bewildering, and I wondered if it was some sort of queer thing.

"You're so painfully bisexual," Jack snickered, holding his side from laughing so hard.

My face went red as I realized what Ginger had asked. It was literally supposed to be a sexual orientation thing. The ironic part is that I literally like both cats and dogs equally. I don't have pets, so I wish I had both. I do have a girlfriend, though.

I rolled my eyes, and everyone started settling down. The lunchroom was still buzzing with life, but our table grew a bit more peaceful. We were rarely quiet, but it was nice. Elaine went to go clean her tray, so things got even better.

"Is it really that obvious that we did it?" Jynx asked the rest of the table.

They all looked at each other cautiously. It was almost as if they didn't want to answer the wrong way, which was understandable.

Ginger finally answered. "It's a bit obvious, I have to admit, but Elaine's making a big deal out of it. We all know you two are dating, so it's nothing too weird. Besides, you did similar things with Elaine."

My heart sank. She did similar things with Elaine? In the back of my head, I always knew what they were probably up to as a couple, but I never wanted to face it. The thought of Jynx being so in love and passionate with Elaine made my stomach do somersaults. I literally wanted to throw up.

Jynx could pick up on it, and she grabbed my hand, trying to comfort me with whatever I was going through.

Hunter, walking up to the table, stopped my thoughts. Jynx let go of my hand, and I turned to face him.

"Hey, Emily, I was going to ask you if you wanted to go have dinner with me this weekend," he asked, his sparkling eyes making it hard to say no. His cute outfit, sleek hair, and attractive jawline were difficult to look at without wanting him back.

I wanted to say yes. The straight girl that I used to be still wants Hunter. He's popular, sporty, and decently smart. It's hard not to fall for him. I'm bisexual, and I still like him. The decision wasn't too tough, but saying it felt like my throat was on fire.

"No, Hunter, I can't. I'm dating Jynx now." My voice was a bit shaky, but I wasn't aiming for confidence.

Everyone grew quiet once again, and Hunter just stared at me blankly. His smile turned to a frown, and his eyes dimmed to rock. "Jynx? Are you gay?" He asked rudely, but I could tell he didn't mean it like that. Even though most people at school were at least casually homophobic, I knew Hunter didn't have that in him. His nature was to accept everyone.

"I'm bi, but yes, we're dating, so I can't date you. Sorry, but we can still be friends."

He scratched the back of his head, trying to comprehend what I had just said. I assumed he'd say he didn't expect it from me, or maybe he would be homophobic, but it didn't matter. I had Jynx by my side, and that's all I need to feel safe.

Eventually, Hunter stormed off. Everyone watched him stomp away, and I turned back to look to Jynx for approval. She smiled at me and pecked my lips with hers.