Two Cubs

Mufssa paces outside of the entrance of his den in pride rock. His eyes flickered all over until he heard Sarabi's stern voice. He let out a growl before padding into the dark den. His eyes adjusted and he finally caught sight of his mate, curled around his newborn son. They had just had the circle of life present for him although it was more for Mufasa and Sarabi than it was for Simba. He probably would never remember it.

Mufasa settled beside Sarabi and licked her cheek. He then gazed at his son intently as he saw him sleeping in his mother's paws. He was curled in a ball with his tail twitching as he dreamed. "He's perfect," he purred as he rubbed his muzzle against Sarabi's. "I'm sure he'll be the best king the Pridelands has ever seen."

Sarabi nodded in agreement as she licked Simba's tuft of fur that stuck up on top of his head. It was closest thing to a mane he had so far. "Sarafina is expecting a cub as well," she told her mate.

Mufasa nodded in understanding. "Perhaps she will be his mate one day," he suggested.

Sarabi shoved her head into his mate's chest. "It's a little far off," she chided as her eyes narrowed. "At least let him have a cubhood."

Mufasa let out a laugh. "Of course I will, Sarabi. Just thinking ahead, that's all."

Suddenly a fluttering sound entered the den. Mufasa turned his head and blinked his eyes. "What is it Zazu?"

Zazu lowered to the ground and bowed to his king. "Well sir I'd like to report about a new cub born to Sarafina. Her name is Nala," he told them.

"Nala," echoed Sarabi with a purr. "I knew that Sarafina would pick a beautiful name." She lowered her head toward Simba and her eyes glowed. "Then I suppose it will be Simba and Nala together one day."

"Hey," scolded Mufasa. "Isn't that a little far off?"

Mufasa and Sirabi chuckled in their private joke while Zazu just looked on in confusion. Mufasa then waved his tail at Zazu. "You're dismissed Zazu," he rumbled. "It's time I spend time with my son and mate."

Zazu nodded before flapping his wings and flying out of the den. Once he was out Mufasa curled around Sarabi. He was careful so that there was no way he could injure his newborn son. He pressed against Sarabi and Sarabi lowered beside him. They both drifted off into sleep and readied for the next day.