Warning from the Kings

Darkness wrapped around everything and threatened to consume the landscape. Mufasa lifted his head and raced forward. His eyes flickered and he didn't know where he was. He then realized he was standing above the gorge where a stampede was surging forward. He shook his head to clear it to make sure he was seeing straight.

He gasped as he saw his brother leaping gingerly from the rocks, snarling to hyenas below.

"Help me!"

Mufasa looked down and saw Simba clinging to a snapping branch. "Simba," he cried as he went to surge forward.

However a massive shape leaped in front of him to block his path. He snarled and lifted his head as he met the eyes of his father, Ahadi. "Step aside Ahadi," he snarled. "Simba needs help."

"Stop," snapped Ahadi as he threw his weight into Mufasa and sent him staggering. "This is just a nightmare. Simba isn't really in danger."

Mufasa blinked his eyes a few times and found himself in the sky. He bared his teeth. "Why are you messing with me?"

"I'm not messing with you," assured Ahadi gently. "The only one who is messing with you is Scar. You must watch him with your son."

"Scar," echoed Mufasa as he bristled his fur. "What will he do with Simab?"

"I can't tell you," confessed Ahadi as he threw his head sideways. "It's against the law of the kings. However I can tell you that your time with your son is precious."

"Don't you think I know that," Mufasa shot back at his father as his fangs began to drip with saliva. "I know what it's like to spend time with my son."

Ahadi's ears flicked. "Anyway I just need you to remember what I said. Speak to Sarabi about it but not Simba. I don't want him to worry."

"Did you come here just to warn me," asked Mufasa as he let out a thick roar. "I know what it takes to lead a pride of lions. I can protect my own son.

"I don't doubt that," Ahadi assured him calmly. "I just want to let you know to be careful. Death can happen at any time, not just when you plan for it."

"I know that you can't plan for death but you can be ready for it," Mufasa pointed out as he turned his muzzle upward in pride.

Ahadi lashed his tail. "I know that you know that since I taught you. But does your son know that," he inquired as he flicked an ear.

Mufasa's eyes narrowed in rage. "My son has a name. It's Simba. He's so young to learn about death and the circle of life, don't you think?"

"It's never too young," Ahadi argued as his paws began to fade a bit. "Prepare him Mufasa. Just as I had prepared you."

Mufasa was left alone to look at his paws. He knew what his father was trying to tell him but he just was trying not to listen to it. However he couldn't hide forever. He knew that he had to talk to Simba about the great kings and death, despite how much he was against it.