Passing on the Warning

Mufasa awoke with a jolt. He realized that it was still early in the morning. The sun wasn't even up yet. He shook his mane and tried not to wake anyone.

"Mufasa," mumbled Sarabi as she raised her head. "Is everything alright?"

Mufasa couldn't hide anything from her. "I have to talk to you," he confessed as he raised to his paws and tiptoed toward the entrance. Sarabi raised upward gently and swiveled her head around before taking her first ginger step. She didn't want to step on anyone's tails of paws.

She made it to the entrance and lowered into a crouch. "What is is Mufasa," she asked as their eyes met. "You looked worried and stressed."

He nodded. "You know me too well Sarabi," he murmured as he rubbed his head against her cheek and purred. "I was visited by my father."

"Your father," echoed Sarabi as her whiskers lifted. "That's great! Isn't is?" She saw her mate's face fall and he turned his head as he muttered under his breath. "Mufasa?"

"He told me to beware of Scar," Mufasa told her.

Sarabi rolled her eyes. "Like you needed Ahadi to tell you that!"

"I'm serious Sarabi," snapped Mufasa as his mane shook in anger. "I really need to talk to him but I don't know who. Death is a very difficult concept to take in."

"I know," murmured Sarabi as she licked Mufasa's cheek affectionally. "I'm sure that when the times comes you'll know."

"You sure," asked Mufasa cautiously as his eyes shimmered as the sun began to creep over the savanna and into view of both lions and the pridelands.

"Of course," purred Sarabi as she pushed her head into Mufasa's neck fur and purred loudly. "You just don't need to rush it. Also he can't know that something is bothering you."

"Nothing is bothering me," he argued. Sarabi tilted her head and shot Mufasa a stern look. He hung his head and let out a deep breath. "Maybe it is. Fine, I'll try to hide it."

"Just act natural," she whispered as she heard small pawsteps behind her. She turned her body and saw Simba scampering up to them in a crouch. He let out a sigh and he shook out his flank.

"I was trying to sneak up on you," he sighed as he slammed his paw angrily against the ground and curled his lip in disappointment.

Sarabi padded up to him and licked his cheek. "It is much more difficult to stalk on stone that it is in grass," she pointed out. "Perhaps your father will help you perfect it."

Mufasa nodded. "Er sure." He strode forward with Simba scampering behind him. Sarabi purred and turned back to the den. She deserved some more sleep with both males out.