Uncle Scar

Mufasa arouse early and shook his mane. He saw that Simba was still sleeping but Sarabi was awake. The sun hadn't yet touched the whole of the pridelands.

"What's wrong," asked Mufasa as he sensed his mate's tension rising. He could smell it in the air and it made his body prickle in unease.

"I saw your brother," replied Sarabi coldly as her eyes turned to yellow slits. "He just passed through Pride Rock. You better go and see what he's up to."

Mufasa nodded and rose to his firm paws. He stretched out his neck and sniffed the air. Yes, his brother's scent did cling in the air. As much as he didn't want to do this he knew he had to confront him. He didn't want him getting too close to his son. He knew how cunning he could be.

Mufasa took a step forward and a growl rolled in his throat. "Scar."

The darker lion turned and his black mane jumped at the sight of Mufasa. "Well if it isn't the king of the pridelands," he purred silkily as he stalked toward his brother with his eyes gleaming. "What do I owe this pleasure."

Mufasa shoved him away. "Stop it Scar," he snapped as he flashed his white fangs. "I want to know why you are here and that's it."

Scar inched away a bit with his tail lashing. "Well I was just here to meet the new prince. Is he still sleeping?"

Mufasa rose up to his full height and towered over Scar. "Yes he is and you need to leave. You didn't show up for his ceremony yet you challenge me now about seeing him?!"

Scar opened his mouth to speak but he couldn't think of anything. He shut his mouth while his teeth clicked. "Alright them. I'll see you later, brother." With that Scar leaped down from priderock and set off toward the pridelands, probably to hunt.

Mufasa let out a breath of relief.

"Who was that?"

Mufasa spun around and saw Simba looking at him with round eyes. His head was tilted and his paws pricked at the ground in curiosity.

"S-Simba," he stammered in surprise. He didn't know how long Simba had been there and he didn't really want to know how much of the conversation he had had. "You're awake."

Simba nodded. "Y-Yeah. So who was that."

Mufasa caught Sarabi's eye as she stalked out of the den. Her eyes flickered and she turned. Mufasa was on his own.

"Well that was my brother, and your uncle," Mufasa replied as he watched Simba's eyes widen in excitement.

"I have an uncle," Simba yowled in excitement as he leaped around. "What's his name."

Mufasa gulped. "Scar."

"Cool! I have an uncle Scar," he exclaimed as he danced around with his cub fuzz bouncing around. "Can I meet him?"

"Maybe another day," murmured Mufasa as he licked his son between the ears as he began to steer him away. "How would you like to go with me and Zazu to patrol the borders?"

Simba beamed and bounded forward. "Sure. Will we see Uncle Scar."

"Perhaps." Mufasa forced himself to sound happy although inside he was cringing.

Simba surged forward and Sarabi curled her lip at him. He turned around with his mane faltering. This was not what he wanted.