Meeting Nala and Questions for Sarafina

Sarabi bounded through the tall grasses as she felt the wind whip her fur. She halted as she smelled the sweet tang of milk. It was the same scent that came from her while she was nursing Simba. However she had been able to leave her son with Mufasa for a bit while she went to see her best friend and her new cub.

She stalked into a dark den where the milk scent was the strongest. "Sarafina," she asked a bit timidly. She didn't want her friend to mistake her for an enemy lion or hyena and try to protect her cub.

She saw a figure lift her head. "Sarabi," she purred warmly, her voice smooth as honey. "What brings you here? I heard you just had a cub. I'm sorry I couldn't be there but well..."

Sarabi lowered beside her friend and touched her nose to his ear. "I know," she murmured gently. "You have you paws full as well. Nala. Isn't that her name?"

Sarafina nodded and lifted her head to reveal a small cub nestled at her stomach. Her pelt was darker than most lions and she was smaller than Simba but there was no doubt in Sarabi's mind that she would grow to a very powerful lioness.

"Yes," replied Sarafina as she licked her daughter between the ears. "It means gift. I heard about Simba. That's a very powerful name."

Sarabi dipped her head. "Mufasa picked it out. He wanted a powerful name for the next king of the pridelands." Sarabi eyed Nala affectionately. "And a beautiful name for the next queen."

Sarafina purred and rubbed her nose against her best friend's cheek. "They will be perfect together once they get older."

Sarabi blinked her eyes before pulling away. She looked at her paws. There was still a major question that Sarabi had to ask Sarafina about Nala.

"Sarafina, who is Nala's father," she asked a bit hesitantly. She was afraid that Sarafina would turn defensive and refuse to speak to her about it.

Sarafina shuddered and eyed her daughter who began to squirm. She lowered her head and licked Nala to try and soothe her. "Sarabi, you know that I'd tell you if I knew."

"You don't know," Sarabi echoed in shock. How couldn't she know who the father was?!

Sarafina dipped her head. "I met a rouge lion once and we just spoke a bit before we became mates. I told him that I wouldn't give him away and even if I saw him now I wouldn't say anything."

Sarabi blinked her eyes. "I understand. So even if he was in the pridelands right now you wouldn't tell me who it was?" As much as she hated this conversation as queen of the pridelands she had to have it.

Sarafina nodded. "He was a rouge, he is probably gone and Nala is mine. She will be raised without a father but make no doubt that I love her."

Sarabi shook her head curtly. "I never doubted it friend," she assured as she rose to her paws and shook out her golden fur. "I better return. I don't know how long Mufasa can cope with his son. I should bring Simba here soon, to meet her."

"Excellent idea Sarabi," agreed Sarafina as she curled around Nala and yawned. "We will be here."

Sarabi dipped her head before padding out of the den, deep in thought. They had a rouge lion who had been Nala's father. At least she hoped that's what it was like. She tried to clear her thoughts as she surged forward but they didn't waver. She couldn't believe that Sarafina wouldn't tell her who he was. She let out a sigh and continued toward Pride Rock.