First Time Out

Mufasa raised his head from beside Sarabi and the mess of lionesses around him. He yawned as she showed his massive fangs to the appearing light.

He lowered his head and nudged Sarabi's cheek. She let out a purr and blinked open her eyes. "What is it Mufasa," she asked sleepily.

Mufasa's eyes gleamed as he eyed Simba as he was nestled close to Sarabi. "Could I take him out? You know, for his first time seeing the world?"

Sarabi's eyes lit up in excitement. "Of course! That's a great idea. I'm sure he'll be excited because this will be his first time stalking through the grass like a true lion."

Mufasa shook his mane before rising to his massive paws. He lowered his head and nudged Simba's flank. "Simba," he whispered into his ear. "Simba it's time to get up."

Simba flailed his paws against his father's muzzle. "But dad," he argued with his eyes still tightly shut. "It's still early and I'm still tired."

Mufasa nudged him harder. "It's about time you see the pridelands my son," he told his as his voice bellowed through the den and began to wake up even more grumpy lionesses. "You will rule over them one day and it's best you know them soon like the back of your paw."

"Pridelands," Simba echoed as he raised his head. His fluffy fur spiked up in excitement. "Pridelands! You mean I can leave Pride Rock?"

"Yes but we can't go very far," answered Mufas as he grasped Simba by the scruff and carried to the entrance of the den. He set him down harshly and he looked around madly in excitement.

Mufasa took a step forward and waited for his son to follow. He was a bit sluggish but his speed would pick up with age. They padded down from Priderock and Simba eyed the grass wearily. "Isn't this where you hunt dad," asked Simba as he leaped forward and disappeared into the grass. He yelped in shock and Mufasa took a step down.

He nudged Simba back on the path and continued forward. "This is where we hunt. We hunt the gazelle which you soon will eat once you're old enough."

Simba nodded in understanding. "Are there any other cubs that I can play with?"

Mufasa watched as Simba leaped on his paw which was as large as Simba's whole body. He lifted it up and Simba fell forward. Mufasa caught him by the scruff and threw him over his shoulders. Simba laughed and raced around his father's pack.

"Yes Simba there is. There is one other cub beside you in the pridelands. Her name is Nala," Mufasa answered as he kinked his tail over his back and watched as Simba tried to catch him between his tiny claws. He fell backwards with a thud and Mufasa lowered down so that Simba could leap off of his back. He did and landed gently.

"Nala," Simba whispered as he pranced around with his tail twitching. "Nala. There's another cub names Nala. When can I meet her?"

"Soon," assured Mufasa as he stuck out his tail to halt Simba. "Once you can walk that far."

"How far is she," asked Simba as he turned his head to look into his father's gently yet powerful eyes.

"Pretty far," sighed Mufasa as he turned his body and padded back toward Priderock with Simba trailing. "You'll meet her soon enough and then I'm sure you'll be the best of friends."

"Alright," Simba muttered as he turned his head over his shoulder and looked at how much pridelands was still behind him. Mufasa lifted his tail and swatted it against Simba's head.

Simba stumbled forward and looked at his father with curious eyes. Mufasa purred as he surged forward with Simba struggling to keep up. Mufasa leaped up Priderock with Simba panting behind him. He collapsed and looked up at his mother who was standing at the entrance of the den.

"Hi mom."

"Hello Simba," purred Sarabi as she lowered her head and licked him between the ears. "How was your first look at the pridelands?"

"Awesome," he told her as he pushed himself to his paws and bounced around her mother's paws. "I heard about a cub. Her name is Nala. Dad said I could even meet her one day."

"Of course you can," assured Sarabi as she eyed her mate. "I'll take you there as soon as you can make it that far."

"That's what dad said," complained Simba as he shoved a paw against the ground. "I can walk that far. I promise."

Sarabi nodded. "Of course you can dear. Now you must be hungry. Let's get you something to eat."

Simba hung his head. It wasn't fair! He was tired of being treated like a cub. One day he'd be a real lion like his father and then he would be king as well.