Adventuring Alome

"Can I go out alone," Simba begged as he leaped up and pawed at Sarabi's muzzle.

"Alone," echoed Sarabi in shock as she turned her gaze toward Mufasa who was gathering the lionesses for hunting. "How far?"

Simba lowered back down and shuffled his paws. "Not far. Besides, I wouldn't be all alone. I was going to ask Nala to go with me," he told her as he flashed his eyes at her and purred.

Sarabi sighed. "Alright. Just stay too the path and don't go far. Do you remember the territory to the wateringhole?" That was that farthest that Sarabi and Mufasa had allowed Simba to venture.

Simba rolled his eyes. "Yes mom. I know how to get to the wateringhole."

Sirabi cuffed his ear. "Don't get short with me. I'm just making sure that you stay safe."

"I will," Simba called over his shoulders as he bounded down Pride Rock with his tail flashing in excitement. Sarabi couldn't help but be nervous. He was her son and he didn't want anything to happen to him. She turned to Mufasa who had strode toward her and butted his head affectionately against her shoulder.

Sarabi forced a purr and intertwined her tail with his. "Aren't you the least bit concerned of him going out," fretted Sarabi as her whiskers twitched in nervousness.

Mufasa frowned. "A bit and with the hyenas straying closer..." He trailed off and let out a low growl. Zazu lowered down suddenly and Mufasa blinked his eyes. "Could you do me a favor, Zazu?"

"Of course sire," Zazu squawked as he lowered his head in respect to the king of the pridelands.

"I need you to shadow Simba and Nala. Keep your distance and don't let them know that you're trailing them. Report to me if there's a problem," he told him sternly.

Zazu turned and flapped his wings. He soared upward and flew away, so only his tail feathers were visible as he flew.

"That's not what I meant," snapped Sarabi as she plastered her ears against her head. "What if he finds out. He'll be furious."

"He needs to be safe and that's the only way I know how to do it," Mufasa told her as he stretched out and yawned. "Now if you'll excuse me I have to talk to my brother."

Sarabi was left alone on priderock and sighed. When would the chaos end?