Scoldings and Punishment

Simba was deposited at Sarabi's paws with Nala. Nala look up at Simba's mother in fear as her fur began to bristle in rage.

The lionesses were beginning to tell Mufasa what happened and his tail tip was lashing in rage. Once the lionesses was finished speaking Mufasa swung his head. "Thank you. Gather up the lionesses and tell them about our new hunting plans." She dipped her head and padded away.

Mufasa turned back to Simba and strode forward. Simba's breath was caught in his throat. He had never seen either of his parents this angry before. It sent a shrill up his spine and made his mouth dry. He couldn't even try to defend himself.

"Simba why would you do such a thing," Mufasa asked sternly as he sat down heavily with his tail still lashing.

Simba shuffled his paws. "I don't know. I wanted to defend our kill. It was ours! Our lionesses killed it," he argued his voice rose to a shrill.

Sarabi let out a hiss and her eyes flashed. "Stop talking back!" Her hackles rose in a threatening manner but everyone knew that she would never hurt her cub.

Simba ducked back and beside him, Nala looked at her paws. Simba's parents hadn't scolded her, yet.

Zazu suddenly lowered down and his beady eyes were fixed on Mufasa. He was as afraid of Mufasa as Simba was. He spread his wings as Mufasa turned his head toward Nala. "Take her home Zazu," he growled as turned his gaze back toward his son.

"Yes sire," Zazu murmured quickly as he dipped his head back and turned to Nala. "Come on Nala. I'll take you home."

Nala blinked her eyes at Simba before following Zazu as he led her home.

"You know how dangerous hyenas are," Mufasa pressed as his eyes flashes in anger. "What made you want to rush in and almost get killed."

Simba hung his head. "I don't know."

"You even brought Nala in on that. What would you have done if they would have killed her instead of you?" His voice was firmer now and his ears began to flick.

"I don't know!" Simba screeched before sailing forward toward the den. His breaths were coming in gasps of anger and he couldn't help but growl under his breath.

"Simba," snapped Sarabi as she leaned forward and thrust her ears against her head in anger. A hiss sounded in the back of her throat but Mufasa rested his tail across his mate's shoulder.

"Leave him be," he sighed heavily. "He doesn't want to listen right now and you can't blame him. He's had a very wild day."

Sarabi drew back and rubbed her muzzle against Mufasa's. "I know Mufasa but that doesn't excuse what he did," she pointed out with round concerned eyes.

Mufasa nodded in understanding. "Yes but the more we nag and press the more he'll try to press the boundaries. I speak from experience, Sarabi."

Sarabi worked her claws against the stone. "However I don't want him to get hurt."

Mufasa nodded and licked her mate's cheek affectionately. "We could have Zazu or one of us go with him from now on," he suggested as he thumped his tail against the ground.

"Alright," sighed Sarabi as she turned her gaze to the vanishing sun. "I'm going to see if Simba will talk to us. Would you like to come?"

Mufasa shook his rough mane. "I doubt he'll speak to me." He turned his head toward the darkening sky. "I think I'll stay out here for a bit."

Sarabi flicked her tail. "Don't stay out too late," she called as she surged forward with her hindquarters bobbing as she ran. She skidded to a halt as she saw Simba curled against the edge of the den instead of the middle where they usually slept. "Simab. Are you awake?"

Simba didn't answer. She knew that he was awake but she wasn't going to prod anymore. She would just speak to him. "Everything your father and I do we do because we love you. Don't mistake our concern for anger. We just want the best for you and that's why we worry."

Simba turned around and slumped his head on his paws. He closed his eyes and flinched as Sarabi pressed against him and yawned.

Simba still didn't understand why his parents worried about him so much. He was the future king! He didn't need to be looked at as a cub anymore. He most definitely didn't need to be watched by a buzzard! He decided just to hold his tongue and try to fall asleep. However he wasn't sure a new day would help his cause.