Return of a Ghost

Nala pricked her ears as she heard voices. She turned her head and hissed with her ears plastered against her head in surprise. "Simba," she asked as she expected her friend to leap out from the bushes and tackle her.

"No Nala," murmured a voice. "It's me."

Nala shook her head to clear it as she took a step forward. "Hello?" She expected someone to answer but no one did.

"Hey," howled Simba as he skidded to a halt beside her. "Who are you talking to? The game's over here." He threw his head toward where Sarabi and Sarafina were speaking.

Nala narrowed his eyes. "There's someone in the bushes."

Suddenly Sarafina surged forward. Her teeth were bared and a snarl sounded in her throat. She leaped for the bushes with her claws extended. She sunk her claws into a body and a wail sounded.

"Mama," cried Nala as she took a step forward. "What are you doing."

Sarabi strode forward and sunk her teeth into Na's tail and hauled her backwards. She struck out a paw and tugged Simba back and tucked both cubs under her stomach and hisses protectively.

"What's going on," asked Simba as his eyes flickered.

Sarabi let her cheeks fill with air as she let out a long, rattling hiss. "Male lion," Sarabi replied as her fur began to bristle and she looked twice her size.

"What do they want with us," cried Nala as her fur was puffed out in fear and shock. Simba tried to ease her stress but it wasn't working.

"I don't know," Sarabi confessed as her eyes turned to slits. "'But I doubt it is pleasurable."

Snarls bursted from the bushes as the two lions rolled onto the opening of the clearing. They slashed and clawed at each other and blood and chunks of fur fell onto the ground around them.

Sarabi knew that she couldn't expose the cubs to this. She scooped up Nala by the scruff since she was incapable to run. "Come on Simba," mumbled Sirabi to her son around Nala's scruff. Simba scurried forward with his tail between his legs and his eyes wild.

She threw them into Sarafina's den and shoved them toward the back. "Don't say a word," Sarabi hissed under her breath. She couldn't risk them being discovered.

A yowl sounded from Sarafina and Nala tried to race to the entrance. Sarabi sunk her teeth into Nala's tail and hauled her backwards. "You can't go out there," she whispered urgently. "It's too dangerous."

Once she brought Nala back they all huddled in sudden fear.