Eighteen

Apparently I'd left the curtains open because I woke to the sun blasting into the room. Christopher had simply turned away and half buried himself under a pillow to escape the onslaught but I was wide awake and it was too important of a day for me to be able to lay around even if I was the sort to do so. I used the bathroom and brushed my teeth and then froze as soon as I got a good look at Christopher. His back was flaky and dry and red; only one of those was acceptable and not in the shade it currently was.

I wrote a quick note and left it on his bed and went to the drugstore for some lotion. He was still asleep when I returned and I hated to wake him but I couldn't stand knowing his back was in need of care without handling it. I hadn't given a single thought to the bath last night drying him out; I should have lotioned him afterwards and then again before bed but I'd just been too tired.

I'd grabbed coffee from the lobby and hoped that would ease his mood upon wakening; he was often a bit testy. He shifted when I sat on the bed but didn't wake up. I warmed the lotion in my hands as much as I could and started near his shoulder blades where the skin was less sensitive. He jumped. "Daddy?"

"Shhh angel, your skin needs some attention. Be still."

"Stings." His voice was strained and I knew he was uncomfortable. Unfortunately it couldn't be helped; my options at the store had been limited.

"I know sweetheart and I apologize. It'll be better soon. I have coffee for when I'm done with you."

"Mmm, thank you." He stretched a bit but stayed accessible and I spent almost twenty minutes applying lotion and massaging him. "Love when you touch me."

"You tell me that quite often."

"My secret subby way of begging for more, Sir."

"Ah, is that what you're doing? I'll keep that in mind. Now, I'll microwave your coffee once I've washed my hands and you need to let that soak in until your shower. I'll order breakfast."

"This is a really nice way to wake up. I've had better, but this is a close second or third."

I read between those lines just fine but I wanted to christen my apartment later and the more time he had to rest, the better. "You're released. I want you to relax this morning."

"Okay Sir." He dragged himself out of bed to use the bathroom and I grabbed the room service menu. I showered while we waited and I instructed him to drink a bottle of water while I did so; he was likely dehydrated.

Once breakfast had arrived and he had finished eating, he stared at me. "Yes?"

"I was wondering if you had a nice night and how you slept."

"I had a wonderful evening and actually slept very well." It was nothing short or miraculous, me getting a decent night's sleep without a pill. I was in a new place, sharing a room and beyond stressed about today. I had gotten lucky. "How are you feeling?"

"Good Sir, really good. My back feels better."

"Good. I'm going to the rental office and want to check out the apartment before the truck arrives this afternoon. I'll need to hit the grocery store at some point today as well. I can leave you here for that or drop you someplace if you'd like to relax at the beach or sightsee."

"Do I have an option that involves being with you or are you needing some alone time? And can I still call you Daddy today? I feel off, like I'm not sure what to do or how to be."

"You may come with me if you can behave. I don't mind you calling me Daddy, I don't understand why you would think I might suddenly mind today. I hoped last night would be enough to calm you but I know of one other way. You'll need to wait a bit for that though. Get a shower quickly and I'll reapply a bit of lotion before we go."

"Okay Daddy."