Twenty five

I woke up still dazed and heavy with sleep but the alarm wasn't going off. I had no idea if it was light out yet but it seemed probable. Where was I? My eyes and brain were slowly waking up and I could make out the room. The Den. The new Den.

Ah, Christopher. He was still completely under, his breathing slow and heavy and his mouth parted just slightly. I wanted to touch him but didn't want to disturb him. I wanted to take him but I was comfortable and he was resting. I closed my eyes and drifted back off.

I knew that sound and when I flipped over, Christopher was in the doorway with my phone. "It's your mom Sir? She's called three times."

My legs were tangled in the sheet and I almost fell getting out of bed but he met me halfway. "Mom?"

"Hey sweetie, did I oh... I disturbed you. I didn't think, silly me. You can call me back." She was chuckling and sounded embarrassed.

What was she yammering on about? "Is something wrong?"

"Noooo dear."

Nothing was wrong? "Then why did you call three times?"

"Well you always answer but you're with Chris of course and well, I didn't think. Sorry munchkin."

Today wasn't a good day to use that nickname. "WHY did you call mom?" And where had the boy run off to? I walked towards the kitchen and he was slicing strawberries. It wasn't a bad way to wake up.

"I wanted to invite you two to lunch."

"No, you shouldn't be--"

"Leah is here and helping. It's already in the oven."

I pushed down my displeasure at being interrupted and looked at the clock, surprised it was already 10:09. Still, I doubted her comment about it already cooking was true since it was often her way of bribing me to come over. "What time will it be ready?"

"Oh as soon as you boys are free. Your father's having a good day and I thought you might like to visit awhile."

Likewise that made no sense. "I haven't showered or eaten yet."

"It's after ten! Well I declare! Slap my head and call me silly. You boys sure do know how to have fun."

I wasn't used to my mother talking about my sex life. Ever. EVER. Now that she'd met Christopher she seemed to think it was up for discussion? "Mother, I slept in. That's all."

"That dog won't hunt sweetpea!"

"Believe what you will. Hold please." I dropped the phone and turned towards Christopher. "Can you be ready to leave in an hour?"

"Yesss."

Ah, he hadn't wanted my mother to hear. Very well. "We will be there at noon or by 5 after at the latest." I hung up after a very quick good-bye and turned towards the counter which held a steaming bowl of oatmeal. "Thank you."

"Is everything okay at home Sir?"

"Oh, yes it's fine. We're going to lunch." I didn't realize he had been worried until he smiled and nodded. He seemed relieved. "I didn't mean to make you worry."

"Not your fault, you know my head. I wasn't sure if I should wake you up or not, I'm sorry but after the third time..."

"I'm glad you did, we didn't know the reason for the call. I don't think it will be a problem in the future; she will just leave a message I hope. I will clean up the kitchen. Thank you for preparing breakfast."

*** *** ***

There were   eightpeople in my house and I had no doubt that more would be arriving if the amount of food was any indication. I didn't mind the number itself but why were there so many people here? I had expected five but not two friends of my mother and one of their sons in addition to Leah and my family.

"Gregory?" my mother called. I walked over, expecting Christopher to follow which he did. "I'm going to sit down awhile while Michelle works on the finishing touches in the kitchen. Do you two want to play that racing game?"

Leah and I had taken to playing a lot of Mario Kart. It was the only way to keep both my parents in the same room and resting. My father, who never even watched the news anymore because he couldn't follow along and had deemed it 'not important' still somehow seemed to enjoy watching us spin and crash. Mom was happy as long as everyone was within her sight and doing fine. "Perhaps Chris would like to play?"

"Oh I'd much prefer to watch you play..." and he grappled but decided on nothing. It was fine. I didn't expect or want him to call me by any of my titles in the living room.

"Very well." I grabbed the controller as Leah set the game up. Soon I was focused on nothing but keeping my silly motorcycle from skidding out around the turns. It handled wonderfully on the jumps but I hadn't yet perfected the sharp turns. I didn't even realize Christopher was gone until I heard him laughing from the kitchen during the seventh race.

I finished it out, coming in a disappointing 6th place, and then stood and made my way around the corner. Christopher was holding court; every eye focused on him. He reached over and grasped Michelle's hands and was then pulled into a hug. I didn't like seeing him touched so much and especially not by Christian who lazily laid his hand on Christopher's shoulder and smiled at him.

Christian had been a little runt of a jerk the last time I'd seen him but that had been at least five years ago, no, almost seven. They had stopped by on Christmas Eve and that was the last time I'd seen him or his mother. Now he was smiling and laughing and granted, so was everyone else huddled around Christopher, but I didn't like it.

At all.

"Gregory? Come help your mama get up. It smells ready in there. Does it look done?"

"Oh it's absolutely finished mother." I escorted her quickly to the table and went to retrieve my boy.