Chapter 6 - Schedule

FER

My dance teacher gives me the middle finger before slamming the door closed and the silly gesture makes me laugh. I look at the card she gave me... Madison Turner it says, then shove it carelessly in my pocket while Ale watches me with a disapproving look. I'm not here to make new friends and only want this to be over.

"Alejandro Sawyer!" Liz calls.

My brother and I turn our attention to the pretty girl with a hair knot and wearing an oversized shirt who approaches him. He gives her a goofy smile and I find myself rolling my eyes.

"Causing trouble so early?" I hear a voice say next to me. 

Kevin and his bleached smile stand next to me by the catering table and my annoyance increases. I was the victim of his condescending treatment in the past, but now that we are equals, he just wants to make my life miserable so I either quit or get fired. His light blue eyes look lustily at the girl talking with Ale.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, unamused at his presence. "Don't you have some stupid research work to do for your gadget section?" 

"I need to be here," he shrugs. "I'm presenting this show and want to get acquainted with the participants."

"Bullshit. You know well who they are if they hired you for this absurdity. You are only scouting for a quick fuck."

"Believe whatever you want."

"But that's great, congratulations. I didn't know you could present shows. You've done that section in the talk show for so long I thought you weren't good at anything else."

"At least I've been in front of a camera for a while and not cleaning toilets."

Kevin gives me a crooked smirk while his eyes are still glued to Ale's instructor. I feel my blood boil, but don't let it get to me. I've earned my place through hard work and not through ass-kissing like him.

I watch my brother as he laughs and looks fascinated at the girl. He's probably crushing on her already. We have been through this many times before. Even during meet-and-greet sessions with fans, if he has a click with a particular girl he asks her out. It never ends well for him when the girls figure out what is wrong with my brother.

"Another thing Alejandro," Kevin begins and stretches the last syllable of my name in a way I hate. "I wouldn't come late again like you just did. This is the third time this week. Liz isn't as forgiving as your old boss Frank. She also couldn't care less about your stupid game show."

"What are you implying?" 

"I'm not implying anything. Get on Liz's bad side and you will go back to mopping floors," he holds my gaze.

"So you can take over our show?"

Kevin smiles and hands me something, my new phone. He then leaves my side, introduces himself to one of the dance instructors. I notice that I'm squeezing my paper coffee cup and the scalding liquid is dangerously close to my hand. I relax my fingers and look at the phone box. It's a very decent one, so at least I got a new toy to keep myself entertained.

I look back at Ale who is now hugging his dance partner. I find the physical gesture too intimate for two people who've just met. He waves at her before she leaves and joins me at the catering table.

"What's the deal with the hug?" I grab an apple from a tray and take a large bite.

"It was her!" We watch as more people say goodbye and leave the studio.

"You need to be more specific, Ale."

"The girl I defended at Furia. It was her! Without the makeup and the hot dress she had that night she looks different. She recognized me first."